direct user login at boot

Post by Radu Vissario » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I have this problem:

I'd like to be able to login as a user without password
at system start-up, without passing through the login/passwd prompt
process,
either in console mode -runlevel 3- or X mode - runlevel 5-

Help directly to my email will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
 Radu
Radu VISSARION                  Phone: (+39 51) 6443013

DEIS/UNIBO/IT                   http://deis187.deis.unibo.it/users/radu

direct user login at boot

Post by Matt Kresse » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi, I have this problem:

> I'd like to be able to login as a user without password
> at system start-up, without passing through the login/passwd prompt
> process,
> either in console mode -runlevel 3- or X mode - runlevel 5-

> Help directly to my email will be greatly appreciated.

Use the LILO parameter at bootup: linux single or alternatively, edit
the init program to drop you into a shell, or edit /etc/inittab to start
a login for a particular user and make that user have no password
(instead of starting a getty).

-Matt

--

+---------  Northrop Grumman Corporation, Bethpage, NY ---------+
+---------  TEL: (516) 346-9101 FAX: (516) 346-9740 ------------+

direct user login at boot

Post by Matt Kresse » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi, I have this problem:

> I'd like to be able to login as a user without password
> at system start-up, without passing through the login/passwd prompt
> process,
> either in console mode -runlevel 3- or X mode - runlevel 5-

> Help directly to my email will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I found this excerpt this morning on comp.os.linux.advocacy (the
title was Linux appliance or something like that):

################# QUOTE ################################

I set up a PC with a Linux, X11, and a friendly desktop environment
(originally fvwm2... I now use KDE).  I install netscape, configure
pppd and set it to autodial their ISP as soon as they try to access
the net.  Then I add the following cool trick to the end of their
rc.local script.

  su -l -c xinit mylogin
  sync
  halt

This basically logs the user 'mylogin' into the system and starts up
X for them as soon as the system boots.  Note that rc.local runs with
root
priv and su does NOT prompt for a password when run as root, so the
user is never prompted, even if the account has a password.  The system
goes right into the GUI, just like windows.  Furthermore, as soon as
the user exits X, the system does an orderly shutdown.  Also note that
they are NOT running AS root while in X, so it is near impossible for
the user to break anything.

############## END QUOTE ####################################

-Matt

--

+---------  Northrop Grumman Corporation, Bethpage, NY ---------+
+---------  TEL: (516) 346-9101 FAX: (516) 346-9740 ------------+

direct user login at boot

Post by W. Christopher Everhar » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

The idea below is great for resolving problems that exist between the chair
and keyboard part of the computer!  I just wanted to add a little
something.  When I first installed Linux, I was planning on using it to
completely replace Windows 95, including answering my phones.  I assumed I
would have to set it up to automatically log in so that it could run
whatever software I found to handle voice mail...just like Windows 95.  I
soon discovered that I did *not* need to do this because vgetty starts up
at boot time, and you don't need to be logged in to make it work.  If
anybody is thinking that they need automatic login for similar reasons, I
just want to encourage them to look for a solution that doesn't require ANY
login.

[snip]

Quote:> This basically logs the user 'mylogin' into the system and starts up
> X for them as soon as the system boots.  Note that rc.local runs with
> root
> priv and su does NOT prompt for a password when run as root, so the
> user is never prompted, even if the account has a password.  The system
> goes right into the GUI, just like windows.  Furthermore, as soon as
> the user exits X, the system does an orderly shutdown.  Also note that
> they are NOT running AS root while in X, so it is near impossible for
> the user to break anything.

[snip]

--
W. Christopher Everhart
Senior Systems Analyst

** Bye bye vCard **

1. How do I restrict direct login for specific users?

I have an account "oracle".  I don't want anybody to be able to
log in as oracle directly.  ie: they cannot telnet to the
machine and log in as oracle.  I want people to be able to su to
the account once they have already logged in as themselves,
though.  How do I do this under Solaris 2.6?

Thanks!
-Cyrus

2. Disabling Shell Access in vi

3. newbie question:-> boot direct to user shell ??

4. Problem with syscall in Java native code

5. Automatic user login after system boot?

6. Fortran, gf77 f2c and f77 script

7. auto login user on boot

8. shadow-xdm and yp/nis

9. getting users login name after login from server

10. Login problem with root, but can successfully login with other user to access CDE

11. Solved: root login OK, user login incorrect.

12. how do I disable telnet login with certain user id, only allowing console login?

13. Login problem with root, but can login with other user.