redhat 5.2 install problems

Post by mur.. » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

My PC gets stuck during a redhat 5.2 install. I am
stuck at the same place when booted  from either a
boot diskette or from a CDROM drive.. here are the
last few boot messages:
---------
AMD K6 stepping B detected  - probably OK (after B
9730xxxx)

Checking 386/387 coupling - OK fpu using exception
16 error reprting.

Checking 'hlt' instruction..

---------
There is no forward progress beyond this point.

Any clues/hints are appreciated..

My PC config
K6 166
64 megs (EDO)
Primary master WD 4.0G
Primary slave Toshiba CDROM
Sec Master Maxtor 8.4G

thanks in advance
-murli

redhat 5.2 install problems

Post by Wayne Kovsk » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

> My PC gets stuck during a redhat 5.2 install. I am
> stuck at the same place when booted  from either a
> boot diskette or from a CDROM drive.. here are the
> last few boot messages:
> ---------
> AMD K6 stepping B detected  - probably OK (after B
> 9730xxxx)

> Checking 386/387 coupling - OK fpu using exception
> 16 error reprting.

> Checking 'hlt' instruction..

> ---------
> There is no forward progress beyond this point.

> Any clues/hints are appreciated..

> My PC config
> K6 166
> 64 megs (EDO)
> Primary master WD 4.0G
> Primary slave Toshiba CDROM
> Sec Master Maxtor 8.4G

> thanks in advance
> -murli

Try it again, and this time when it stops, have a look at what might be
happening on the other Linux consoles (type Alt-F1 through Alt-F8 to see
the consoles).  You might see an error message on one of the other
consoles that will tell you what is wrong.

--

Colorado Software Summit (A Java Programming Conference)
http://www.SoftwareSummit.com

redhat 5.2 install problems

Post by Wayne Kovsk » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

Oops -- I also forgot to mention that the boot floppys shipped with
RedHat 5.2 were buggy.  New boot images for RedHat 5.2 can be obtained
from:

http://www.redHat.com/corp/support/errata/rh52-errata-general.html#Bo...