Possible to use Linux Web Server to access Windows NT?

Possible to use Linux Web Server to access Windows NT?

Post by Eric Gent » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

I have been give the task of setting up an Intranet server at my
company.  I have been learning Linux at home for my personal web
server (Red Hat 5.2 w/ Apache).

I would like to pitch Linux as a possible solution for our intranet
server, but I need to know if it can meet the following requirements:

1. Access Windows NT user database for authentication.  Several areas
of the intranet will be restricted by user id/password.  This
information is stored on the Windows NT domain controllers, and I
don't want to have to maintain over 200 accounts on a Linux box as
well.

2. Access shares on a Windows NT server and use them as virtual
directories.  We are setting up the server so that a lot of the data
will be basic directory listings so that people can access file trees
through the browser.  This data is to remain on the NT servers in
which it resides.

Does anyone know if this can be done?  I think Samba is the answer,
but the authentication is going in the opposite direction (Linux ->
NT).

Any information would be appreciated.
Eric Gentry

Post by Rick Zem » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

|1. Access Windows NT user database for authentication.  Several areas
|of the intranet will be restricted by user id/password.  This
|information is stored on the Windows NT domain controllers, and I
|don't want to have to maintain over 200 accounts on a Linux box as
|well.

There's a PAM plugin module for NT authentication.