dos/os2 warp & Linux

Post by Chad Peter » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I am having problems with setting Linux up with dos and os/2 warp.

I have tried using os/2's boot manager and LILO under all configurations
that I can think of.

Is there a way to get all three co-existing on my system with out having
to kill one of them?  (I know that it works fine with out os/2).

Unfortunately, I can't even get back into linux with out doing a
complete re-install.

Chad Peters

dos/os2 warp & Linux

Post by Craig Godd » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 08:39:07 -0800, Chad Peters

>I am having problems with setting Linux up with dos and os/2 warp.

>I have tried using os/2's boot manager and LILO under all configurations
>that I can think of.

>Is there a way to get all three co-existing on my system with out having
>to kill one of them?  (I know that it works fine with out os/2).

Yes, there is at least one way. I use LILO to switch between OS/2,
Win95 and Linux. Each of these is in a primary partition. I can't see
the Win95 drive (C:) from OS/2, but that doesn't bother me as all of
my data is in a DOS extended partition.

Note it is possible to do this without using BootManager - but only,
and someone correct me here if I'm wrong, by using a version of LILO
(17) that allows the partition table to be re-written on each boot.
Otherwise, booting OS/2 kills Win95 because the former messes around
with the OS Type byte in the partition table.

Now to the details. There is only one HD in my system, partitioned as
follows:

Disk /dev/hda: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 787 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *        1        1      127   512032+   6  DOS 16-bit >=
32M
/dev/hda2          346      346      786  1778112    5  Extended
/dev/hda3          330      330      345    64512   83  Linux native
/dev/hda4          128      128      329   814464    7  OS/2 HPFS
/dev/hda5   *      346      346      422   310432+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda6   *      423      423      584   653152+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda7   *      602      602      786   745888+   6  DOS 16-bit

Quote:>=32M

/dev/hda8   *      585      585      601    68512+  82  Linux swap

and lilo.conf goes something like this:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
linear

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda3
        read-only

other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda
        rewrite-table

other=/dev/hda4
        label=os2
        table=/dev/hda
        rewrite-table

Note that if you have two physical drives, the above approach may not
be a good idea - the docs that come with LILO say that the
rewrite-table option was removed in later versions because it didn't
always do what it was supposed to. You have been warned!!

Quote:>Unfortunately, I can't even get back into linux with out doing a
>complete re-install.

Hmm, no boot disk ?. A Slackware or RedHat boot disk - even the
installation ones -  will allow you to mount your root partition and
then carry on booting from there (e.g. 'mount root=/dev/hda3' at the
LILO prompt. I had to do this numerous times whilst figuring out the
above !!)

Craig

dos/os2 warp & Linux

Post by D.F. Yriar » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I am having problems with setting Linux up with dos and os/2 warp.

> I have tried using os/2's boot manager and LILO under all configurations
> that I can think of.

> Is there a way to get all three co-existing on my system with out having
> to kill one of them?  (I know that it works fine with out os/2).

> Unfortunately, I can't even get back into linux with out doing a
> complete re-install.

> Chad Peters

I've just set up a similar system. My primary operating system is OS/2,
I also have Linux and DOS 6.2. OS/2 Boot Manager controls booting of all
three opsys. In the case of Linux, Boot Manager hands off to LILO.

I found a HOW-TO that told me several things I needed to know to make
this work:

a. The drive where the Linux partition will reside must be partitioned
with OS/2's FDISK, so that Boot Manger will be able to recognize the
Linux partition. You will have to use Linux FDISK to set the correct
partition type for Linux. You should also format the partition that
Linux will go in with OS/2 or DOS FORMAT (this may not be necessary for
Warp 3 or 4, but I did it just in case).

b. LILO must be installed in the Linux superblock, not in the Master
Boot Record of the first physical drive of your system. Even if you only
have one physical drive LILO goes in the Linux superblock in the Linux
partition. OS/2's Boot Manager owns the Master Boot Record.

Look for the HOW-TOO on web, it gives a clear explanation of what you
need to do, and why.

-   Doug Yriart        http://www.vais.net/~dfyriart  -
-           Running on OS2/ and Linux                 -

dos/os2 warp & Linux

Post by swe.. » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>I am having problems with setting Linux up with dos and os/2 warp.

>I have tried using os/2's boot manager and LILO under all configurations
>that I can think of.

>Is there a way to get all three co-existing on my system with out having
>to kill one of them?  (I know that it works fine with out os/2).

>Unfortunately, I can't even get back into linux with out doing a
>complete re-install.

>Chad Peters

If you have compuserve, check out the file multios.txt on the os2user
forum and also on the Unix forum. You have to make your linux partitions
with os2 fdisk to make them visible to bootmanager. After making them in
os2, use linux install to change their id to linux native and format them.
Install lilo to the superblock (root) of the linux partition. Remember you can
only have 4 primary partitions on one drive - Dos uses one, bootmanager uses
one and linux needs one, and any extended part. counts as one. You can run
out if you have data partitions on this drive.

dos/os2 warp & Linux

Post by Dougie Richards » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>I am having problems with setting Linux up with dos and os/2 warp.

>I have tried using os/2's boot manager and LILO under all configurations
>that I can think of.

>Is there a way to get all three co-existing on my system with out having
>to kill one of them?  (I know that it works fine with out os/2).

>Unfortunately, I can't even get back into linux with out doing a
>complete re-install.

>Chad Peters

Try System Commander, it works for me.

------------------------------
Argue for your limitations,
And sure enough,
They're yours.

Richard S. Bach. 'Illusions'.
------------------------------

dos/os2 warp & Linux

Post by ddem.. » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>>I am having problems with setting Linux up with dos and os/2 warp.

>>I have tried using os/2's boot manager and LILO under all configurations
>>that I can think of.

>>Is there a way to get all three co-existing on my system with out having
>>to kill one of them?  (I know that it works fine with out os/2).

Yes, and it's pretty easy. Point your browser to any site that has
Linux Doc stuff and look for this mini-HOWTO:

Subject:      Linux Linux+OS2+DOS mini-HOWTO (part 1/1)

Date:         1996/10/14

Newsgroups:   comp.os.linux.answers

Archive-name: linux/howto/mini/linux+os2+dos
Last-modified: 2 Jun 96

I had bootmanager set up for DOS and OS/2 anyway, then simply
used OS/2's fdisk to make the Linux partition, then added it to the
BM menu. Then (it has to be after, I think) I used Linux install to
change the partition type and installed LILO on the superblock of
that PARTITION, and not the MBR.

So, BM loads LILO which then loads Linux.

P.S. the ONLY partition that has to be a primary one is DOS.

__________________________________
David Demmer
Ontario Laser & Lightwave Research Centre

http://www.ollrc.on.ca

1. DOS, OS2, os2 bootmanager, linux native and linux swap in one d

 > [...]
 > from Sunsite. Made boot and root disks.  Then use fdisk
 > to create linux native and swap.  However, after creating
 > linux native, I'm not allowed to create linux swap.  At the
 > moment, I recalled the limitation of 4 partitions on a hard disk.
 > Is this still true to Linux??

Yes and No. It's limited to 4 _PRIMARY_ partitions. So just put the additional
partition(s) you need in some logical ones (see below).

 > 1. DOS (partition 1, primary)
 > 2. os2 bootmanager (partition 2)
 > 3. os2 root drive (partition 3, logical)

Create an additional extended partition. Then the logical ones. Ready to go..
(you may - if there is - also use the empty space on the extended partition on
which "os2 root drive" resides). Got it?

bye,
    Peter

2. Naming Li

3. DOS, OS2, os2 bootmanager, linux native and linux swap in one drive

4. Disable Direct Login:Enable SU

5. Remote control DOS/Windows 3.1x/95/98/NT/OS2 WARP from UNIX!

6. Q: 0.99pl11, WD8013 Ethernet card not accessable any more, please help

7. USB Wireless NIC

8. Linux, DOS/WIN & WARP on one machine....

9. how to install dos,os2 & linux on one pc.

10. Linux/OS2 Warp boot setup

11. PCI Hardware for running Linux / Solaris / WfW / OS2-Warp

12. cable modems and os2 warp 4 and linux