Linux on IBM PS/1

Post by Julie A. Peron » Sun, 05 Mar 1995 06:04:46

I recently reinstalled Linux on my IBM PS/1 machine.  Previously, I
was booting Linux with LILO but now I would like to boot either from
a floppy or use the loadlin program to load from DOS.  The problem is
that to boot the PS/1, I have to give the line ramdisk hd=1024,16,63.
When I was booting from LILO, that line was added as an append statement.
With the new version (kernel 1.1.59), after I made the bootdisk, when I try to
boot up, the bootdisk tries to check the partitions but keeps timing out
with the message "controller still busy".  I rebooted from the installation
bootdisk without the ramdisk stuff & got the same problem.  But, when I
booted from the installation disk & added the ramdisk line, I booted fine.
I would continue to use the installation disk, but the kernel booted is not
configured like the one I personally configured during installation.
Does anyone know where I need to add the ramdisk stuff to the kernel or
wherever to get the custom bootdisk to work?

Thanks,

Julie

Linux on IBM PS/1

Post by Daniel Barl » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 11:14:05

Quote:>I recently reinstalled Linux on my IBM PS/1 machine.  Previously, I
>was booting Linux with LILO but now I would like to boot either from
>a floppy or use the loadlin program to load from DOS.  The problem is
>that to boot the PS/1, I have to give the line ramdisk hd=1024,16,63.
>When I was booting from LILO, that line was added as an append statement.

With loadlin you can specify this on the command line, eg
C> loadlin c:\linux\zimage 5 hd=1024,16,63

With a raw boot disk there's apparently somethuing called SYSLINUX,
but I've never used it.

Daniel
--

``Our single posting of 6,000 was a drop in a huge bucket''
                                -- Canter & Siegel, to the Tennessee Bar

1. I need info on IBM PS/1: Who at IBM has technical information?

I use Linux on an IBM PS/1 [ValuePoint-esque machine] for which I have
scant few technical specfications.  IBM-Canada's "HelpPC" and "HelpWare"
support lines do not have technical information on file and cannot direct
me to anywhere else within IBM that does.

Can anyone direct me to the correct place to call to get things like
hard disk geometry and monitor frequency information?

--
-- I am Peter Rukavina at the PEI Crafts Council, Charlottetown, PEI, Canada  --
  Telephone at work (902) 566-1584, fax (902) 628-8740, at home (902) 368-2871

2. xdm under Redhat v5.0

3. Linux and IBM PS/1???

4. Extracting CONFIG_IKCONFIG data from 2.4.19-ac4

5. More IBM PS/Valuepoints and Linux

6. AWE32 not detected by Mandrake 9.0

7. LINUX and IBM PS/2

8. Q:jvim + onew

9. IBM PS/ValuePoint and Linux

10. Installing Linux on IBM PS/VP E76

11. Linux and IBM PS Valuepoints. Fixed??

12. Installing Linux on a IBM PS/1

13. IBM PS/2 and Linux...