X freezes just before startup (garbage scrolling on screen)

X freezes just before startup (garbage scrolling on screen)

Post by Barman Brakjoll » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 06:21:58

Sometimes (maybe one out of four times) when I start X with startx the
computer locks up and some garbage starts to roll upwards on the
screen (like som old grafix demo on the Amiga). It looks like the same
memory block rolls up up up all the time (lightblue/purple background
and small different colored strips). I haven't been able to figure out
if I do anthing special those times it locks up. Is this a problem
with my graphic card, Xfree86 or something else?

 I'm running Mandrake 8.0 and have a Matrox Productiva G100 with 4Megs
of memory which seems to work fine otherwise. I've never had it hang
after X has started up.

/Barman

X freezes just before startup (garbage scrolling on screen)

Post by TuxTra » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 17:27:07

I have a sneaking suspicion that x was not configured properly for your
video card. I would go back to the installer and reinstall x, even though
it means going through the full install again. then make sure that you
identify the video card properly, as well as the monitor, resolution and
color depth. I found that under linux, I had to run 16 bit color, or the
display was all flubbed up. Before you exit the inistaller, be sure to
test your settings and go back and correct if they arent right.

cheers,

TuxTrax

> Sometimes (maybe one out of four times) when I start X with startx the
> computer locks up and some garbage starts to roll upwards on the screen
> (like som old grafix demo on the Amiga). It looks like the same memory
> block rolls up up up all the time (lightblue/purple background and small
> different colored strips). I haven't been able to figure out if I do
> anthing special those times it locks up. Is this a problem with my
> graphic card, Xfree86 or something else?

>  I'm running Mandrake 8.0 and have a Matrox Productiva G100 with 4Megs
> of memory which seems to work fine otherwise. I've never had it hang
> after X has started up.

> /Barman

X freezes just before startup (garbage scrolling on screen)

Post by Barman Brakjoll » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 04:24:26

Hmm, I really don't know if I'm prepared to install it all again now
that I have more and more programs running happily together in Linux.
I'd rather try to tweak some config files, change som drivers or
something like that.

And I am almost 100% sure that all settings was entered correctly when
I installed it (video card, monitor etc etc).

And also, why does it work so many times and sometimes not?

Thanks for the suggestion though!

/Barman

Post by Johan Valfrid Daniel Sommar » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 22:04:12

>Sometimes (maybe one out of four times) when I start X with startx the
>computer locks up and some garbage starts to roll upwards on the
>screen (like som old grafix demo on the Amiga). It looks like the same
>memory block rolls up up up all the time (lightblue/purple background
>and small different colored strips). I haven't been able to figure out
>if I do anthing special those times it locks up. Is this a problem
>with my graphic card, Xfree86 or something else?
> I'm running Mandrake 8.0 and have a Matrox Productiva G100 with 4Megs
>of memory which seems to work fine otherwise. I've never had it hang
>after X has started up.
>/Barman

This is exactly the same problem that I have and I also have a Matrox
G100 with 4Megs of memory and a KII 300MHz processor. And a P5A-B motherboard.
But my distribution is RedHat 7.1.
AFAIK RedHat 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 both have XFree86-4.0.3.

In my computer no /var/log/XFree86.?.log file is found from then sessions
that hang. I always have to reset the computer after the freezes.

Maybe we should compare our setup with someone who has a working system
with XFree86-4.0.3 and Matrox G100?

--

***************** Founder member of Team McLaren ***********************

Post by TuxTra » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 18:20:35

> Hmm, I really don't know if I'm prepared to install it all again now
> that I have more and more programs running happily together in Linux.
> I'd rather try to tweak some config files, change som drivers or
> something like that.

> And I am almost 100% sure that all settings was entered correctly when
> I installed it (video card, monitor etc etc).

> And also, why does it work so many times and sometimes not?

Because it's Linux; the hackers OS!

cheers,

TuxTrax

Post by TuxTra » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 06:25:07

>> > And also, why does it work so many times and sometimes not?

>> Because it's Linux; the hackers OS!

> Nonsense.  Hardware problems will make any operating system flaky.

> What kind of hardware causes most problems depends on what drivers are
> available.  Which is why some hardware will work well on windows and
> not at all on other systems, and vice versa.  Checking hardware
> compatibility before buying new stuff will put at least a bit of
> pressure on manufacturers to take non-windows operating systems into
> account.

(putting on a very serious face.....)

Marc, it was a joke. You speak truth kimosabe, but tonto recommends you
lighten up ;-)

TuxTrax

1. WinLinux Startup - Garbage Screen

Hi,

I am trying to install WinLinux 2000 on my wife's
"Windows-Only" PC.  The objective is to allow her to run
GIMP.

The PC has a "supported" ATI All-In-Wonder Pro graphics
card.  The installation ran fine, and the WinLinux
Configuration Utility correctly lists the card.  The Display
setting shows it as 1024*768 at 60 Hz, 16 bits per pixel,
which also appears OK.

When I try to boot WinLinux, I get a garbage screen within a
few seconds, perhaps as much as a minute before the KDE
startup.  The logs in /linux/var/log are all empty.

I have tried forcing the display to VGA with only a 640 *
480 resolution, 4 bit color, didn't help.  I have also
downloaded and installed the x 3.3.6 update, same problem.

The screen is displaying garbage and the system halts many
seconds before I think it is time to go into graphics mode.
I think I should have several more pages of text mode start
up messages, but the screen changes so fast I am unable to
read the last few messages.

Any Ideas?

TIA,

Roger Haase

2. S3 Trio32 black fonts

3. Konqueror, scrolling, and black scrolled portions of the screen.

4. GCC leaking my memory???

5. X screen freezes on startup

6. Routing prob 2 network segments

7. Intel 845GL screen garbage instead of DM screen

8. AGX-015

9. 4.2.0 + r128+ 3D accel + gtk scroll = freeze - Solution

10. 4.2.0 + r128+ 3D accel + gtk scroll = freeze

11. X causes scroll lock keyboard freeze

12. How to see startup messages (Key combination for scrolling up)