after install redhat 5.1, NT can't start

after install redhat 5.1, NT can't start

Post by fishma » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Does anybody have such problem?
After I installed redhat 5.1, I used LILO to boot back to NT, NT crashes at
the starting.
However, if after I removed LILO by fdisk/mbr, NT works again.

after install redhat 5.1, NT can't start

Post by Ron Bond » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Is your NT drive NTFS? I believe that the first partition must be vfat.
www.redhat.com has a mini how to for installing a dual boot with NT

>Does anybody have such problem?
>After I installed redhat 5.1, I used LILO to boot back to NT, NT crashes at
>the starting.
>However, if after I removed LILO by fdisk/mbr, NT works again.

after install redhat 5.1, NT can't start

Post by Josh Fishm » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anybody have such problem?
> After I installed redhat 5.1, I used LILO to boot back to NT, NT crashes at
> the starting.
> However, if after I removed LILO by fdisk/mbr, NT works again.

Yep, you've got it precisely right. LILO can't live on the MBR if you want
NT to be bootable. The fix is to put LILO on the first block of the root
(or any other Linux) partition and then set that partition (with LILO) as
active. LILO can boot NT but only if the MBR is ``pristine''.

We have several machines set up thus.

 - Josh
--
   O<     ( (    "So [camels] long ago plumped for a lifestyle that, in return
 _NH >=O   ) )    for a certain ammount of porterage and being prodded with st-