IRQ problems with MAD 16 PRO sound card... HELP!

IRQ problems with MAD 16 PRO sound card... HELP!

Post by Marco Bra » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Dear Linuxers,

I am the (partially happy) owner of a P90 Intel Plato mainboard; I bought
a J-MED1930 sound card which (besides claiming SB 16 Pro compatibility)
is a MAD 16 PRO. I see that by default it uses IRQ 7 and it is not
possible to steadily remap it to asnother IRQ. Unfortunately I have no
way to change my parallel printer interface IRQ, which is 7 as well.

I can properly initialize my sound card and use its features only when my
parallel printer is disabled.

Any of you knows what I am doing wrong? Is it possible to tell the card
to use a different IRQ at system boot time, or am I wrong that a utility
exists to steadily remap its IRQ to a value other than 7?

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated; I will post a summary afterwards.
If you think that the only viable solution is boot DOS, then use the DOS
utility to move the IRQ, please add advice of a sound card that will give
me sufficient flexibility so that I can fully configure it without
resorting to DOS, as I would rather change it than use this ugly
procedure (AGAIN, I DON'T HAVE---nor tolerate---DOS/WIN).

Thanks A LOT in advance!

Marco Bravi

--
Marco Bravi                   |
Dip. Ing. Chimica M. M. P. M. |

Post by Marco Brav » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> In comp.os.linux.hardware you write:

> >Dear Linuxers,

> >I am the (partially happy) owner of a P90 Intel Plato mainboard; I bought
> >a J-MED1930 sound card which (besides claiming SB 16 Pro compatibility)
> >is a MAD 16 PRO. I see that by default it uses IRQ 7 and it is not
> >possible to steadily remap it to asnother IRQ. Unfortunately I have no
> >way to change my parallel printer interface IRQ, which is 7 as well.
> Sounds like you are using Linux 1.2.13. There is support for few MAD16
> chips (OPTi 82C9xx) in Linux 2.0.0 and later. Linux 2.1.x support even more.

I am using K. 2.0.27. No flaw so far. Never crashed. Any idea?

Marco

Post by Eric L. Gree » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Dear Linuxers,

> I am the (partially happy) owner of a P90 Intel Plato mainboard; I bought
> a J-MED1930 sound card which (besides claiming SB 16 Pro compatibility)
> is a MAD 16 PRO. I see that by default it uses IRQ 7 and it is not
> possible to steadily remap it to asnother IRQ. Unfortunately I have no
> Any of you knows what I am doing wrong? Is it possible to tell the card
> to use a different IRQ at system boot time, or am I wrong that a utility
> exists to steadily remap its IRQ to a value other than 7?

The MAD16 chipset by default places a single port into the IO-space
of your computer. The sound driver then activates the sound card by
poking stuff at that port. The sound driver tells the sound card at
activation time what IO ports to use, what interfaces to enable, and
what IRQs to use. You define these values when you compile the sound
driver into the kernel. For example, I told my sound card to use
IRQ 5, simply by entering "5" into the value.

If you are using xconfig or menuconfig, the IO-port/Interrupt for the
MAD-16 are at the very bottom, past everything else. They are easy to
overlook.

Note that Linux 1.2 kernel did not support the MAD-16. Best bet there is
to configure it in DOS as a Microsoft Sound System card at a decent
IRQ, then boot into Linux.

IRQ problems with MAD 16 PRO sound card... HELP!

Post by Martynas Kunigeli » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I also had a problem with my MAD 16 Pro soundcard and it was that kernel
config suggested DMA channel 3 as the default. My card seems to work OK
only with DMA channel 1 though.

Thought this might help someone having similar problem..

Martynas

1. Problems with MAD 16 PRO sound card

I have MAD 16 PRO sound card ,and I tried to compile 1.3.45 kernel with
sound support .It was compiled without any warning or error and works fine....
except for sound driver :while linux boot ,sound initialization I get message
"Autocalibration timed out(3)",and when I try to cat au-file into /dev/audio
I get it REALLY too fast and with some distortion.While compiling I
enabled only MAD 16 choice and used defaults (i.e. base 0x530,irq 11,MPU
emulation 0x220,irq 5).I checked that at least in DOS those parameters
work,and of course there is no irq conflicts there.
I have DX266 with 8MB,2 IDE -40MB(:-)) and 420MB,and printer on first
parallel port -no SCASI devices,or something like this.
Does anybody has any idea how can I get my card working properly?
P.S. I found the place in the code that performs code section that outputs
the message and increased a constant of a loop there by the factor of 10...
No changes in behaviour of card...

2. Connecting Handspring USB Visor Redhat 8

3. -----MAD 16 PRO QUANTEX SOUND CARD

4. S3 Virge Xfree86

5. MAD 16 Pro Sound Card Driver?

6. Linux in the Entertainment Industry

7. HELP:MAD16 Pro Sound Card volume problem

8. [oups]

9. HELP: MAD16 Pro Sound Card Problem

10. Help!Problems with MAD16 PRO sound card...

11. HELP:MAD16 Pro Sound Card volume problem

12. Help please - Joystick + MAD16 pro sound card

13. HELP:TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5302B & MAD16 Pro Sound Card