lilo won't start, sez: L01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

lilo won't start, sez: L01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

Post by Kevin Marle » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi there, I am running nt 4, and slakware 3.3 on a p-pro 200
I have nt running on hda1 and linux on hdb1.
Lilo was on the MBR of hda1 (hda1 is active). I was using
bare.i and color.gz as my boot and root. Lilo would start
and then load the nt loader to get into NT. Everything was
working just peachy like this. Then I recompiled my kernel
to include my 3c905 net card. My kernel compiled fine and the
networking works, but my lilo got screwed up somehow. It worked
fine the first time i booted to my new kernel, but when i shut it down
the pc locked up (some funny whirring noises). When I rebooted instead
of getting the lilo prompt, i got  "L01 01 01 01 01...." continuing
infinately. I did a fdisk /mbr and moved my lilo to my linux partition
on hdb1 and used nt loader to start lilo but i still get the same
"L01 01 01 01..." has anybody seen this before or have any suggestions?
I can get into NT fine, and I am using a boot disk to get into linux.
Any help is appreciated.. thanx

Post by Slava Pesto » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hi there, I am running nt 4, and slakware 3.3 on a p-pro 200
> I have nt running on hda1 and linux on hdb1.
> Lilo was on the MBR of hda1 (hda1 is active). I was using
> bare.i and color.gz as my boot and root. Lilo would start
> and then load the nt loader to get into NT. Everything was
> working just peachy like this. Then I recompiled my kernel
> to include my 3c905 net card. My kernel compiled fine and the
> networking works, but my lilo got screwed up somehow. It worked
> fine the first time i booted to my new kernel, but when i shut it down
> the pc locked up (some funny whirring noises). When I rebooted instead
> of getting the lilo prompt, i got  "L01 01 01 01 01...." continuing
> infinately. I did a fdisk /mbr and moved my lilo to my linux partition
> on hdb1 and used nt loader to start lilo but i still get the same
> "L01 01 01 01..." has anybody seen this before or have any suggestions?
> I can get into NT fine, and I am using a boot disk to get into linux.
> Any help is appreciated.. thanx

  Boot of the book disk, but enter root=/dev/hdb1 at the boot prompt to
get into
your system. Then, run /sbin/lilo to reinstall it.

Post by telecid » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hi there, I am running nt 4, and slakware 3.3 on a p-pro 200
> I have nt running on hda1 and linux on hdb1.
> Lilo was on the MBR of hda1 (hda1 is active). I was using
> bare.i and color.gz as my boot and root. Lilo would start
> and then load the nt loader to get into NT. Everything was
> working just peachy like this. Then I recompiled my kernel
> to include my 3c905 net card. My kernel compiled fine and the
> networking works, but my lilo got screwed up somehow. It worked
> fine the first time i booted to my new kernel, but when i shut it down
> the pc locked up (some funny whirring noises). When I rebooted instead
> of getting the lilo prompt, i got  "L01 01 01 01 01...." continuing
> infinately. I did a fdisk /mbr and moved my lilo to my linux partition
> on hdb1 and used nt loader to start lilo but i still get the same
> "L01 01 01 01..." has anybody seen this before or have any suggestions?
> I can get into NT fine, and I am using a boot disk to get into linux.
> Any help is appreciated.. thanx

Try reinstalling lilo.  Type 'lilo'.

--

telecide >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
To mail: remove the obvious

1. lilo li 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 solution

please, no flames, I am just saying what worked for me.

I went from Caldera 1.3 and Idiots Guide Book (steep learning curve there),
to Caldera 2.2 and Using Caldera Open Linux 2.2 and then a Cheapbytes 2.3
Caldera disk.  System was working the way I wanted it to.  I was having fun
with a dual boot that saw less and less of Windows, days without.  Months
pass

I lent my computer to mom for two months as I moved up to Canada, I unhooked
hdb so she would not have to be dual booting, let Doze98 overwrite the mbr,
but hey, I got a floppy with LILO.

Upon bringing computer back, and reinstalling hdb, I kept running into the
li 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 due to a probable geometry mismatch.  fdisked
mbr, reinstalled, yanked out sound and network cards, disabled com irq's,
Tried with Caldera 2.3, 2.2, phat linux which is an older mandrake that will
run in fat32, swapped drives back and forth between primary and secondary
(made sure jumpers were correct on hdd's) nothing works.  I keep getting li
and then a cascade of 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 sweeping down the screen.
I was going to try nuni - finally I pulled out an old FreeBSD 3.2 cd-rom
that I had played with on a 486 - it went on sweet as silk.   Dual booted
flawlessly.

Downloaded boot floppy disks of FreeBSD 3.4 and proceeded to ftp  /bin and
/doc from a mirror.  This is on a cable modem mind you, I was not expecting
to be able to do that.  My CD-rom for 3.4 came the next day and I finished
it up.  I don't have mail working yet, but lynx is working quite well as is
ftp.

I intend to reinstall Linux one day in the future.  I have a new Mandrake to
try out.  But it is going to share a swap file with FreeBSD and use the
FreeBSD loader.

Shalom,  Mark Rogness

2. booting with LILO

3. 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

4. tcp/ip packets encrypted on the LAN

5. SuSE 7: 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...

6. asynchronous socket

7. L01 01 01 01 01 01 01...

8. Concurrent C for Linux?

9. LILO 01 01 01 01 01 01....

10. Linux installation problems - 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...

11. Trying to boot, just get "L 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01..."

12. 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 from lilo? (on RedHat 4.0 & 4.1)

13. L 01 01 01 01 01