probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost"

probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost"

Post by Richard Sembe » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 17:10:22

Hi all,

this is my first post here. Sorry if it's in the wrong ng.

I've been having problems installing Linux on my system. Specifically, I get a
kernel message about once a second or so to the effect that there is a
"probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a
motherboard. kernel: probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration."

I've searched the net for days and found nothing other than that it's
supposedly harmless and affects all kernels from 2.2.19 to 2.4.x. It's also
supposed to be unrelated to actually having a VIA686a chipset (I don't).

Does anyone have any idea what causes it? Is it really a hardware bug or is it
a problem with the kernel? Is there any workaround? On SuSE 7.1 it's annoying
but tolerable, since all kernel messages go to a separate virtual terminal; on
debian 3.0 (testing) it's extremely annoying, since it's broadcast to all
virtual terminals.

Thanks in advance,

Richard Sembera.

probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost"

Post by Michael Heimin » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 20:51:28

Quote:> Hi all,

> this is my first post here. Sorry if it's in the wrong ng.

> I've been having problems installing Linux on my system.
> Specifically, I get a kernel message about once a second or so to
> the effect that there is a "probable hardware bug: clock timer
> configuration lost - probably a VIA686a motherboard. kernel:
> probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration."

> I've searched the net for days and found nothing other than that
> it's supposedly harmless and affects all kernels from 2.2.19 to
> 2.4.x. It's also supposed to be unrelated to actually having a
> VIA686a chipset (I don't).

I'm using a mobo with VIA686 chipset too, damn the day I bought
it...;-( But haven't seen this message.

Quote:> Does anyone have any idea what causes it? Is it really a hardware
> bug or is it a problem with the kernel? Is there any workaround?
> On SuSE 7.1 it's annoying but tolerable, since all kernel messages
> go to a separate virtual terminal; on debian 3.0 (testing) it's
> extremely annoying, since it's broadcast to all virtual terminals.

Check /etc/syslog.conf

kern.warn;*.err;authpriv.none    /dev/tty*

Change "/dev/tty*" to something like "/dev/tty10"

Restart syslogd, done...

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

Post by Loren Co » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 00:18:37

> > Hi all,

> > this is my first post here. Sorry if it's in the wrong ng.

> > I've been having problems installing Linux on my system.
> > Specifically, I get a kernel message about once a second or so to
> > the effect that there is a "probable hardware bug: clock timer
> > configuration lost - probably a VIA686a motherboard. kernel:
> > probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration."

> > I've searched the net for days and found nothing other than that
> > it's supposedly harmless and affects all kernels from 2.2.19 to

... > Check /etc/syslog.conf

Quote:

> kern.warn;*.err;authpriv.none    /dev/tty*

> Change "/dev/tty*" to something like "/dev/tty10"

how about just /dev/null?

   --Loren

Quote:

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 00:24:18

>> > Hi all,

>> > this is my first post here. Sorry if it's in the wrong ng.

>> > I've been having problems installing Linux on my system.
>> > Specifically, I get a kernel message about once a second or so
>> > to the effect that there is a "probable hardware bug: clock
>> > timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a motherboard.
>> > kernel: probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration."

>> > I've searched the net for days and found nothing other than
>> > that it's supposedly harmless and affects all kernels from

> ... > Check /etc/syslog.conf

>> kern.warn;*.err;authpriv.none    /dev/tty*

>> Change "/dev/tty*" to something like "/dev/tty10"

> how about just /dev/null?

How about just removing the line completly?
It's always nice to have one VT which gets all those messages.

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost"

Post by Arnt Karlse » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 01:04:34

.on Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:24:18 +0100, "Michael Heiming"

>> ... > Check /etc/syslog.conf

>>> kern.warn;*.err;authpriv.none    /dev/tty*

>>> Change "/dev/tty*" to something like "/dev/tty10"

>> how about just /dev/null?

> How about just removing the line completly? It's always nice to have one
> VT which gets all those messages.

..can also be worthwhile to run a couple of ssh sessions on
another box, one 'tail -f' for syslog, one for command input.
Saves uptime when X (or something) locks up.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three:

probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost"

Post by Michael Heimin » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 01:33:49

Arnt Karlsen

> .on Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:24:18 +0100, "Michael Heiming"

>>> ... > Check /etc/syslog.conf

>>> how about just /dev/null?

>> How about just removing the line completly? It's always nice to
>> have one VT which gets all those messages.

> ..can also be worthwhile to run a couple of ssh sessions on
> another box, one 'tail -f' for syslog, one for command input.
> Saves uptime when X (or something) locks up.

If you're on a secure network, setup one box as loghost and let the
others forward to his host, now the "tail -f" gets interesting..;-)

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

1. kernel error "probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a"

Greetings,

Another message which shows up in my /var/log/message file:
Jul 29 17:28:44 brama kernel: probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a.
Jul 29 17:28:44 brama kernel: probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration.

I was backing up content to tape using the following command when it happened:
tar xvf /dev/nht0 largeamounts of content

Any guidance or remedies in correcting this would be appreciated.

I am running the latest kernel available to RH6.2:
2.2.19-6.2.7smp

The system consists of 2 800 Mhz PIII's, 2 20GB HDs (not running RAID with most
content and user partitions on one disk; /var, /usr on the other) 512MB RAM.

Max Pyziur

2. [2.5][2/15] smp_call_function/_on_cpu - alpha

3. probable hardware bug: clock timer ... (Asus board)?!?

4. Why does `ifdown ppp0' redial under RH 7.0 ?

5. Imagine 128 with 3.1.2B

6. 2.4.5-ac13, ASUS A7A266, still "clock timer configuration lost"

7. Intel Ether express Pro 10

8. "clock timer configuration lost" on non-VIA m.b.

9. "clock timer configuration lost" error?

10. "probable hardware bug"?

11. clock timer configuration lost on a ServerWorks Chipset

12. Hardware clock OK, system clock losing 15 mins daily