Help changing video driver

Post by buschman.. » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

As you can tell I am very new to Linux.  I originally had a 2MB S3 video
card in my Linux machine.  I have up graded it to a 4MB S3 video card.
How do I change the driver?  Currently, I am difficulty exiting X
Windows and my boss thought it might be due to the new video card.  When
Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit from X
Windows, all the words on the screen are "garbled" up.  The letters are
out of order but linux is still working fine.  If I type telnet or
startx, those respective programs run fine.  If I use telnet it will
work however the words are still garbled.  If I return to X Windows then
evrything is fine, even in XTerm, until I exit again.  So the only way
for me to work in a true linux environment without X Windows, is when I
first start up.  I apoligize for the length of this message and will
truely appreciate any advise on my problem, be it a video driver or not.

Thanks,
Mike B.

Help changing video driver

Post by Here I. A » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

Although your questions are "straight forward and to the point..."  8) .
Generally it helps to know what distribution you are using, as some
configuration is distribution specific...

Are the garbled words on all the terminals, or just the one you were
running x windows from?

How did you originally set up your first video card? Did you try the
same thing again? How about trying XF86Setup, xf86config ?

For the garbled screen, some distributions include a "reset" command
that corrects the problem. There's another way to do it, but I forget,
sorry...

Hope it was of some use...

> As you can tell I am very new to Linux.  I originally had a 2MB S3 video
> card in my Linux machine.  I have up graded it to a 4MB S3 video card.
> How do I change the driver?  Currently, I am difficulty exiting X
> Windows and my boss thought it might be due to the new video card.  When
> Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
> Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit from X
> Windows, all the words on the screen are "garbled" up.  The letters are
> out of order but linux is still working fine.  If I type telnet or
> startx, those respective programs run fine.  If I use telnet it will
> work however the words are still garbled.  If I return to X Windows then
> evrything is fine, even in XTerm, until I exit again.  So the only way
> for me to work in a true linux environment without X Windows, is when I
> first start up.  I apoligize for the length of this message and will
> truely appreciate any advise on my problem, be it a video driver or not.

> Thanks,
> Mike B.

Here I. Am

deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin

"Humans seem to be the only animals that need to be trained in natural
behavior."
--Masaaki Hatsumi

Help changing video driver

Post by Buschma » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply Here I. am.  I am running Redhat 5.2 and I will
start up fvwm.  Once exiting fvwm, thats when it gets crazy.

If the computer wants to print "Shuting Down Now" to the screen it looks
like this:

S u i g D w   o                                         h t n   o n N w

The set of even characters is on one side and the set of odd characters
is on the other.  If I restart fvwm and go to xtrem everything is fine
but once I come out again I get this even and odd character thing
again.  As for terminals.  This is a linux server but no machines
connect to it.  It is just a machine for me to learn on.  I really
appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Mike B.

.

--
The 2 most abundantthings in the universe are
Hydrogen and Stupidity.

1. Help changing video driver

[...]

2. help with Class Based Queuing (CBQ)

3. HELP - video driver and mouse driver conflict ????

4. Emacs installation under Redhat 5.1

5. How do you Change the video Driver?

6. Keyboard sends additional back tick character

7. Change Video Driver?

8. Cannot write to /home

9. Changing resolution without "no video driver"

10. How do I change drivers for video and monitors

11. How To Change Video Driver?

12. 2.5.4, add 1 help text to drivers/video/Config.help

13. 2.5.9-dj1, add one help text to drivers/video/Config.help.