CHROOT'd Accounts with wu-ftpd and CuteFTP

CHROOT'd Accounts with wu-ftpd and CuteFTP

Post by Dion » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am running RedHat Linux 6.1 with wu-ftpd 2.5.0 (I'm sure there's an
upgrade available, but this works on our DG box with wu-ftpd 2.4 so it
should work here).

I have some users who will have accounts on the system, but I only want
them to have guest access.

I have adjusted their home directory path in /etc/passwd to
be "/home/accountname/./public_html" as directed in the man page for
ftpaccess.

I have created "etc" and "bin" directories as per the ftpd man page.

The problem? Logging in with Microsoft FTP or Unix FTP works fine, I
can see all the files in the user's directory just fine. However,
logging in with CuteFTP shows nothing at all. Only the parent directory
marker if I am in a sub directory.

Is this a CuteFTP thing, or have I missed a configuration step?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Dion

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. WU-FTPd under xinetd (RH 7.1) chroot()'d - PROBLEM

It leaves a generic error message in /var/log/messages when I try to
login with a user account. The error is as follows:

Jun  6 16:05:52 mtlwebgsn01 ftpd[9044]: failed login from 10.10.70.208
[10.10.70.208]

It works if I give the user a valid shell in /etc/passwd, however this
means they can see other users's /home directories. In order to
chroot() them, I have set their shell to '/etc/ftponly', and
configured my /etc/ftpaccess to look like the following:

class   all   real,guest *

timeout idle 10800
timeout maxidle 12000

loginfails 3

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             all
tar             yes             all
chmod           yes             guest
delete          yes             guest
overwrite       yes             guest
rename          yes             guest
chmod           no              anonymous
delete          no              anonymous
overwrite       no              anonymous
rename          no              anonymous

log transfers anonymous,guest,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

passwd-check rfc822 warn
guestgroup webhost

Anyone have any ideas? I'm sure it's something simple... because as I
said, it works if I give them a valid shell. TIA

- Mike

2. TB Topez Plus problem

3. How to install wu.ftpd or in.ftpd with chroot?

4. rsh never returns to prompt - SIGTTIN

5. wu-ftpd: ftp-only account

6. FVWM95 - How To Get Xterm To Startup An Alias

7. wu-ftpd guess account cannot view file

8. Samba?

9. security for wu-ftpd accounts

10. wu-ftpd and guest account

11. Limiting Guest accounts in WU-FTPD

12. wu-ftpd 'ls' fails only for anonymous

13. wu-ftpd 'restricted-uid' option problem, HELP!