linux compiling

Post by Kuppam Sudheer Kum » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I am a beginner in linux installation. How do u compile a file after u make
some changes in linux? I tried make config, but does not work.

Also, I loaded my entire linux with cdrom (most ide cdroms drivers (no.7).
Actually my cdrom is ide mitsumi 4x. But with mitsumi boot disk I cld not
mount the cdrom. So I tried the 7th, i.e most ide drivers and it worked. But
the problem is after I completed the installation and rebooted
, the cdrom does not mount
and says not a block device. Actually when I loaded with cdrom (at that stage
the cdrom was /dev/hd1a.)

The same message comes even if i try to mount it manually.

Any suggestions as to what shd be done. As I said I am 'new ' to linux.

Kumar

--
Homepage:     http://www.rpi.edu/~kumar

linux compiling

Post by Scott M. Gri » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I am a beginner in linux installation. How do u compile a file after u make
> some changes in linux? I tried make config, but does not work.

> Also, I loaded my entire linux with cdrom (most ide cdroms drivers (no.7).
> Actually my cdrom is ide mitsumi 4x. But with mitsumi boot disk I cld not
> mount the cdrom. So I tried the 7th, i.e most ide drivers and it worked. But
> the problem is after I completed the installation and rebooted
> , the cdrom does not mount
> and says not a block device. Actually when I loaded with cdrom (at that stage
> the cdrom was /dev/hd1a.)

> The same message comes even if i try to mount it manually.

> Any suggestions as to what shd be done. As I said I am 'new ' to linux.

> Kumar

> --
> Homepage:     http://www.rpi.edu/~kumar

It sounds like the kernel you installed may not have IDE CDROM support.  What
you need to do to make a new kernel (assuming you are using LILO):

- Got to /usr/srv/linux
- make config (answer ALL question appropriately)
- make dep
- make clean
- make zImage
This will create a file called zImage in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
- mv /vmlinuz /vmlinuz.OLD
- cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /vmlinuz
- lilo

This procedure should make a new kernel with the configuration you define when
running make config then copy it to the root directory and add it to the LILO
setup.

Make sure you choose IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM support, not the mitsumi support.  That
is for the proprietary mitsumi interface.

Also, the above steps will only work if you chose to install the linux kernel
source code and the gcc compilers when you were going through the setup.

Hope this helps you out!
----

----------------------
Scott M. Grim

----------------------

1. Linux Compile Problems

yes, I did.

It turned out it was the version of gcc I was using.  I was going to go
back and install the gcc without the g77 front end, but it turned out
that the latest release of the gcc RPM that includes the g77 front end
worked fine (gcc-2.7.2.3-5.i386.rpm from the red hat user contributed
RPMS directory).

bill

--
Bill Comisky

2. Lost Interrupt

3. Abort when linux compile !!!

4. Read err on nonexistant /dev/hdb

5. NNTP Under Linux Compile Probs

6. Linux samba time stamp woes

7. LINUX compile error message.... HELP!!!!

8. " No CDDB Entry" "Error Getting CDDB Entry" ???

9. Linux compiled with 2.8.x

10. MegaPOV 0.6 on Linux: compile probs

11. what is linux compiled under?

12. Linux Compile problems

13. Looking for a Linux-compiled copy of Perl 5 ready-to-use