Help needed: trying to set up 2 Ethernet cards (1 ISA, 1 PCI)

Help needed: trying to set up 2 Ethernet cards (1 ISA, 1 PCI)

Post by The Bug Hunte » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Greetings,

I can use some help from the more experienced people here.  I'm trying
to set up a linux box with 2 Ethernet interfaces but so far have been
frustrated by a combination of problems.  I could get one of the cards
to work, but not both.

Here's the hardware and the source of the problem:  I have an ALR box
with a no-name plug-and-play BIOS, a 3Com 509 Ethernet card, and a 3Com
900B-TPO Ethernet card (and several other cards I don't plan to use
but are currently plugged in).  I'm using the Red Hat 5.0 distribution.
I could get the 509 card to work, but no matter what I do, I couldn't
get the 900B to work, alone or in combination with the 509 card.  When
booting up, I got the message "delaying eth1 initialization" and nothing
I tried could get the interface to work.

As you can probably tell, I'm faced with a number of issues: two
Ethernet cards, plug-and-play, plug-and-play with ISA cards, card not
recognized by the driver (Becker's 3c59x driver doesn't know about the
'B' model of the 900.  I tweaked the driver to make it recognize the
card, hoping that 900 and 900B are essentially identical).  I have
problem with determining what the BIOS thinks is the hardware
configuration of the box.  As the box is a linux-only box, I don't have
Windows to fall back onto (to set the BIOS and the cards to a known
state).

Any help will be appreciated.  Please respond by posting.

Thanks in advance.

--The Bug Hunter

Post by Norman Elliot » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Here's the hardware and the source of the problem:  I have an ALR box
> with a no-name plug-and-play BIOS, a 3Com 509 Ethernet card, and a 3Com
> 900B-TPO Ethernet card (and several other cards I don't plan to use
> but are currently plugged in).  I'm using the Red Hat 5.0 distribution.
> I could get the 509 card to work, but no matter what I do, I couldn't
> get the 900B to work, alone or in combination with the 509 card.  When
> booting up, I got the message "delaying eth1 initialization" and nothing
> I tried could get the interface to work.

Hi,
I'm no expert by any means but I was always told :

simplify your problems first so

Might I suggest some of the following could help.

Take the cards out you will not be using. They may be trying
to use the same resources the NIC wants.

You should be able to set up your card by booting from
floppy and
running a setup program. This usually comes with the NIC
when you
buy it.

Once it is set up you can get into the Bios and set the IRQ
it
wants to Legacy/ISA rather than PnP

That may help.
best wishes
norm

Quote:> As you can probably tell, I'm faced with a number of issues: two
> Ethernet cards, plug-and-play, plug-and-play with ISA cards, card not
> recognized by the driver (Becker's 3c59x driver doesn't know about the
> 'B' model of the 900.  I tweaked the driver to make it recognize the
> card, hoping that 900 and 900B are essentially identical).  I have
> problem with determining what the BIOS thinks is the hardware
> configuration of the box.  As the box is a linux-only box, I don't have
> Windows to fall back onto (to set the BIOS and the cards to a known
> state).

> Any help will be appreciated.  Please respond by posting.

> Thanks in advance.

> --The Bug Hunter

1. Need help to set up two ethernet NE2000 cpt ISA cards

Hi all.

I have a server to be that will act as a firewall between the net and my
lan. To this effect I have bought two ISA NE2000 compatible cards, which are
recognised by linux and by the compaq bios of my server.

I install the first card, assign it specific I/Os and IRQ in the bios, and
assign eth0 to those I/Os and IRQ. When the ethernet card is connected to my
cable modem it works fine.

Then I install the second one in the same way. There comes the problem: when
both cards are there, eth0 doesn't load, giving the vaguest of vague helps:
Delaying eth0 initialisation. And eth1 does the same.

Does anyone know what the problem is?? Here are the general specs of my
server:

 - Kernel ver. 2.2.5-15
 - eth0 (bios setting): I/O=0x340, IRQ=4
 - eth1 (bios setting): I/O=0x300, IRQ=2(9)
 - ethernet driver used: 'ne'

Anything else that you'd need knowing, just ask

Thanks in advance for your help
--
REALITY.SYS not found. Universe halted.
"Does God run Windows 98?"

2. Partitioning for linux on a shared HD

3. netatalk works with ISA ethernet card but not PCI card -- HELP

4. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

5. Need Recommendation for ISA or PCI Ethernet Card for x86

6. X Server setup on a Umax 312T Notepad 266 Mhz

7. 2 PCI Ethernet or 1 PCI + 1 ISA Ethernet?

8. Need help troubleshooting User PPP

9. Help on setting up network card ( GENIUS 2500III PCI Ethernet Adapter )

10. Ethernet Cards: PCI or ISA?

11. Ethernet Card (ISA/PCI) with DES for Linux?

12. Problem Setting Up 2 Identical ISA Ethernet Cards on Same Module