Trying to setup a boot disk for linux 1.2.3/non-system disk error

Trying to setup a boot disk for linux 1.2.3/non-system disk error

Post by met. » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have been following the instructions to build the boot and root disks
for an msdos system.  It all seems to go fine using rawrite (sbpcd and
umsdos12) but when I enter the boot disk and reboot, I get a non-system
disk error.  What should I do now?  I really want to get this running.

Thanks for your help

David

1. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

I recently bought a used Compaq 486/25SX for a home Linux box.  Installed
fine on original 170Meg drive.  I want to replace that drive (throw away
noisy & small old drive) with a spare 550Meg drive I have.  BIOS doesn't
recognize it, so I bought AMI's AMIDISK Extender, which allows recognition
of newer IDE drives.

I strapped the 550M drive as the master drive, popped in the AMI card, its
recognized, and the Linux install went OK, but when I boot, LILO gets
confused and stops at the  partial prompt "LI".

Now, how do I properly config lilo on that drive if I can't boot from that
drive?   I'm having a devil of a time getting my hands on a readable user's
guide for LILO.  I've got a linux laptop at work, but xdvi doesn't work and
a dvi->ascii filter I have won't grok that particular file.

I believe I have to change lilo.conf on the 550Meg drive and then reinstall
lilo.

What I did was boot from the original 170 Meg drive, mounted the 550Meg
drive on  /mnt, and then did a chroot so bash thought that /dev/hdb1 was my
root dir.  Then I put the keyword 'linear' into /etc/lilo.conf, ran
/sbin/lilo, it told me it was updating Linux, then I shutdown, took out the
170Meg drive, restrapped the 550M drive as master and rebooted.  Still no
go.

Then I did the same thing, but this time I deleted the word 'linear' and
put in a section:
drive=/dev/hda
     sectors=63
     heads=16
     cylinders=1048

Still no go.   How can I confirm if the lilo in the MBR on the larger drive
is being updated?     I think my prob is that I'm not correctly updating
it.  Should be possible, after all, the original install boots off one
drive and installs LILO on another.   man lilo seems vague on this and I
can't find the complete lilo docs in a form that I can read.

thanks
(email appreciated)
--
Jay Heiser

http://www.mindspring.com/~pp001887

2. RH 8 link down

3. Can I create primary swap on non-system disk and/or non-b partition?

4. cron and csh

5. Suse Linux: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER

6. X-windows system perf monitor

7. Answer: Suse Linux: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER

8. Undefined variables hang mod_perl

9. Suse Linux: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER

10. Answer: Suse Linux: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER

11. Converting a non Raid redhat system to a Linux system with disk mirroring