X 4.0.2, kernel 2.4.0-test12: sound freezes machine

X 4.0.2, kernel 2.4.0-test12: sound freezes machine

Post by Peter Tielema » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 17:08:13

Hi,

I've installed kernel 2.4.0-test12 and XFree 4.0.2 on a redhat 7.0
installation.My soundcard is a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. It uses the 46xx
driver, and works fine under older kernels (2.2.16-22, with same X). I use
the same modules as with 2.2.16 but everytime sound is accessed the machine
hangs completely, even caps lock stops working. No useful messages in any of
the log files that I could see. Does anyone have an idea what the problem
might be?

Thanks.
Peter

Post by Ivo Naninc » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 00:33:45

> Hi,

> I've installed kernel 2.4.0-test12 and XFree 4.0.2 on a redhat 7.0
> installation.My soundcard is a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. It uses the 46xx
> driver, and works fine under older kernels (2.2.16-22, with same X). I use
> the same modules as with 2.2.16 but everytime sound is accessed the machine
> hangs completely, even caps lock stops working. No useful messages in any of
> the log files that I could see. Does anyone have an idea what the problem
> might be?

> Thanks.
> Peter

You wrote the most likely answer yourself: kernel 2.4.0-_*_TEST_*_12.
It is common knowledge that you run test kernels 'at your own risk' and
that you must
keep a stable production kernel at hand when the test kernel fails...
The least you can do is send some usefull information to the kernel
developers.

--
Best regards, Ivo Naninck.
Winter is the season in which people try to keep the house as warm as

1. help - kernel 2.4-test12

Hi,
I've compiled a new kernel, the 2.4-test12, everything is working fine
except few small details,

1- when I was connecting before, the system was loading the ppp modules
automaticaly but not anymore... I have to load manually with modprobe
ppp-async the module for my dsl ... how can I let the system know that it
has to load the new modules... I can put it in rc.local but I want to do it
the way it's supposed to be...

2- My nfs daemon server (not the one in the kernel) is not working anymore
it's giving me "nfssvc function not implemented" I'm pretty sure I've forgot
something during the "make config" process but I don't know what. any ideas
?

thanks and happy new year!

2. double man pages in man and cat

3. KDM, Kernel 2.4-test12 and XFree86 4.0.1

4. trying to reload firewall rules through ssh and from remote box

5. IPChains incompatible with Kernel 2.4.0-test12

6. Exabyte/DAT info wanted

7. Upgraded to kernel 2.4.3, now X freezes my machine...

8. Maxtor IDE drives

9. I found it! (Was: Upgraded to kernel 2.4.3, now X freezes my machine)

10. Problem compiling kernel & machine freezes randomly

11. Mozilla freezes when loading page with sound if sound already playing in background...

12. Freeze freeze freeze..

13. Problem executing sound device on server machine and output to sound device