automatically rebooting if new kernel fails?

automatically rebooting if new kernel fails?

Post by mikes.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have rebuilt the kernel and want to reboot with it, but I would like
to have an automatic failsafe so that if that kernel fails for some
reason, the machine will try again with the original.  According to the
Kernel-HOWTO, I can do this manually by editing /etc/lilo.conf and
interacting at the console upon failure, but I need it to happen
without interaction.

I see shutdown has a -R option which runs once, but I haven't figured
out what exactly to do with it.

The reason I want to do this is the machine is in another city, so I
would rather not have to drive there if something goes wrong.  BTW, I
am fairly new to Linux.  Any help would be appreciated.  I'm running
RedHat 6.2 on Intel.

Thanks,
Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/