killing uninterruptible sleep PID

Post by Paul Bo » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Help, how do I kill a process that ps reports as D uninterruptible  sleep.
I've tried kill -9 and kill -15
The ppid for the process is init.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Post by Juergen Hein » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Help, how do I kill a process that ps reports as D uninterruptible  sleep.
>I've tried kill -9 and kill -15
>The ppid for the process is init.

shutdown and reboot, really.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

  \ Phone Private : +44 181-332 0750              \                  /

killing uninterruptible sleep PID

Post by Wildman, the Cuberstalk » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Help, how do I kill a process that ps reports as D uninterruptible  sleep.
>I've tried kill -9 and kill -15
>The ppid for the process is init.

Is there some reason you feel you need to?

--
The Wildman

Five is a sufficiently close approximation to infinity.

Post by Paul Bo » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>>Help, how do I kill a process that ps reports as D uninterruptible  sleep.
>>I've tried kill -9 and kill -15
>>The ppid for the process is init.

>Is there some reason you feel you need to?

Yes, I have 2 tar jobs in this mode and i would like to remove them. Otherwise
i would'nt have asked.

Yes i could reboot but i'd like to learn rather than just doing it the
microsoft way

Paul

Post by Villy Kru » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Yes, I have 2 tar jobs in this mode and i would like to remove them. Otherwise
>i would'nt have asked.

Bingo, the missing important piece of information.  This does happen
now and then on any unix system I've used that the close with rewind of
a tape unit will get stuck in an uninterruptible sleep.  In a few cases
you can break that sleep by cylcing power on the tape unit, if this
happened to be an external unit.  If the problem persists you should
definitely check your cabling as this might be the cause of the problem.

Villy

killing uninterruptible sleep PID

>>>Is there some reason you feel you need to?

>>Yes, I have 2 tar jobs in this mode and i would like to remove them. Otherwise

>>i would'nt have asked.

>>Yes i could reboot but i'd like to learn rather than just doing it the
>>microsoft way

>>Paul
>You will probably have to reboot as I suspect the two processes are
>hanging awaiting i/o to the tape device. If this is the case, no
>amount of 'killing' will get rid of them, a reboot is the only option.

>Roger

Thanks for that

Paul.

killing uninterruptible sleep PID

Post by Paul Bo » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>>Yes, I have 2 tar jobs in this mode and i would like to remove them. Otherwise

>>i would'nt have asked.

>Bingo, the missing important piece of information.  This does happen
>now and then on any unix system I've used that the close with rewind of
>a tape unit will get stuck in an uninterruptible sleep.  In a few cases
>you can break that sleep by cylcing power on the tape unit, if this
>happened to be an external unit.  If the problem persists you should
>definitely check your cabling as this might be the cause of the problem.

>Villy

Thanks for the info, I promise my next (if any) post will be more complete

Paul

1. Killing a process in "uninterruptible sleep"

A segmentation fault occured while trying to mount a Mac (HFS) formatted Zip
disk on a PC running linux 2.0.33. Even though it did not successfully mount,
I tried to umount it before removing the disk. The umount process hung and ps
shows the status of the process is "uninterruptible sleep".

Now I can't do a soft reboot because reboot seems to want all processes killed
and even kill -9 as root will not kill the umount process. How can I recover
from this situation so that I can reboot gracefully? Or better yet, how do I
return to a normal situation where I can eject the disk? As it stands there is
no way to manually remove the Zip disk and the software method eject does not
seem to work either. (This is why I am trying to reboot) If I am forced to
power-down abruptly I will probably have to run fsck manually --- something
I'd prefer not having to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alan

2. (Canon BJ10e) printer problem

3. killing processes in an uninterruptible sleep

4. Shared libs behavior

5. How to kill a uninterruptible sleep process

6. How to partition a disk to store two OS versions?

7. How to "kill" uninterruptible sleeping process?

8. New version of BootLinux

9. Uninterruptible sleeping process

10. Uninterruptible Sleep

11. Uninterruptible sleep Process

12. State 'D' / uninterruptible sleep

13. problem: 53c810 + tape => uninterruptible sleep