Problem in add users

Post by Poon Wing Hu » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Subject: Problem in add users
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
I have problem in add users to linux. For example, I add the following line
to /etc/passwd :

newuser::600:100:newuser:/home/newuser:/bin/csh

Then add newuser to the USERS group specified in /etc/group, mkdir
/home/newuser and set it's group attribute.

After all when I try to login as "newuser" the following warning
comes out :

dl_boot: Open /dev/zero failed!

The ONLY get around is to set User ID and user group no. to 0:0 (root),
but I don't want every other uses to be root !

Anyone has similar experiences ? And how to solve ?

I just installed Slackware 3.0 with Kernel 1.2.14. Found this problem is
kernel independent.

Thanks in advance.

Wallace Poon

P.S> Please reply by email.