permanently removing module from kernel using rmmod

permanently removing module from kernel using rmmod

Post by Peter Bismut » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 03:21:49

I want to permanently remove a module from the kernel using rmmod
because it is preventing me from booting using VMware.  My question
is, does rmmod remove the module just for that running instance
of the kernel, or will it be gone after I reboot as well.

Thanks!

Post by Lurc » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 03:40:33

> I want to permanently remove a module from the kernel using rmmod
> because it is preventing me from booting using VMware.  My question
> is, does rmmod remove the module just for that running instance
> of the kernel, or will it be gone after I reboot as well.

couldn't you just comment out the lines in the initscripts that insert the
module during boot?

grep -lr <module-name> /etc/rc.d

to see which script(s) inserts the module, and then just comment out the
lines that do the actual inserts in the script by setting a "#" in front of
the line(s).

Hope this helped...

--
Hardware: PIII 550, nVidia M64 AGP/32Mb
OS: Slackware 8.0

permanently removing module from kernel using rmmod

Post by ne.. » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 09:10:04

Quote:

>I want to permanently remove a module from the kernel using rmmod
>because it is preventing me from booting using VMware.  My question
>is, does rmmod remove the module just for that running instance
>of the kernel, or will it be gone after I reboot as well.

If the module is loaded from /etc/modules.conf, it will
only be removed until the next time it is needed.

If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will.
  8:08pm  up 8 days,  4:33, 16 users,  load average: 0.88, 0.41, 0.23

1. rmmod -a does not remove unused modules!

Hi,

I've built modules samples from Rubini's book about Linux Device Driver on a
Mandrake 7.0 distribution.
I have configured /etc/conf.modules to load automatically "snull" module
whith "sn1" alias.
When I start sn1 interface using "ifconfig up", snull module is loaded in
the kernel, but when I stop it (using ifconfig down), the module is marked
unused but is never removed. Even after a rmmod -as.
I have also tried with a real driver like ppp, and it does not work either.

Rubini's book is mainly based on 2.0 kernel, so I wonder if autoclean does
not work anymore with 2.2 kernel or if it is due to Mandrake distribution???

Thanks in advance.

Benoit.

2. HELP::Processor Speed of Sun Sparc-20???

3. rmmod refuses to remove module

4. Will 1.3.28 compile without SCSI?

5. Can I test a new kernel(compiled myself) without remove old one permanently?

6. SCSI Ruminations

7. load permanently a module in the kernel

8. connect() and what else?

9. module-init-tools 0.9.3, rmmod modules with '-'

10. rmmod hangs when I do 'rmmod usbcore'

11. can't probe ppp module in kernel 2.2.2.5-15 using loadable module

12. Using old kernel modules under a new kernel