ways to protect webserver from hackers

Post by mano » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 20:39:15

can anybody guide me what all i can possibly do to protect my webserver from hackers

i have redhat 5.2 linux installation with apache and mysql

thanx

manoj

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:04:56

> can anybody guide me what all i can possibly do to protect my webserver from hackers

Webservers are not particularly prone to hacker atatck. Apache on its own has
no real exploits. Of course, cgi scripts do have.

Quote:> i have redhat 5.2 linux installation with apache and mysql

Then you are wide open anyway. Get the errata.

Peter

ways to protect webserver from hackers

Post by Chad Whitte » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 07:02:30

upgrade to a newer distro.  if you still have most of the default
packages from that 5.2 install, its probably riddled with holes.  also
make sure that things like named, lpd, sendmail, rpc, etc are running.
make sure apache and mysql are running as non-root users so if some
buffer overrun occurs, a root shell is not presented.

--
Chad Whitten
Network/Systems Administrator