mcopy-ing linux_bs.bin on a MS-DOS formated floppy

mcopy-ing linux_bs.bin on a MS-DOS formated floppy

Post by Juli » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:08:02

Hello,
I've been trying to set up a Linux entry into my Win XP Master Boot
Record but failed at one Linux step. I have to say I am very beginner
in Linux. I've just installed for the first time As a reference I am
using the document "Dual-booting Linux with Windows NT/2000" file
found on Red Had Linux Website. Here is what the doc says:

Step 1. You need an MS-DOS formatted blank floppy disk.

Step 2. Copy the boot sector of your Linux installation using
"dd if=/dev/<linux_boot_device> bs=512 count=1 of=linux_bs.bin"
command. For example, if you've installed Linux on /dev/hda2 then this
command will be as follows:

dd if=/dev/hda2 bs=512 count=1 of=linux_bs.bin

Step3. The "linux_bs.bin" file needs to be in the Windows NT/2000
partition of your hard disk. If you have a floppy drive and a blank,
MS-DOS-formatted floppy you can mount it under Linux using the "mount
-t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" command. After you have the floppy disk
mounted, change to the directory where you saved the file and copy the
file "linux_bs.bin" to the floppy using the "mcopy linux_bs.bin a:"
command. Skip the next step if you have this file stored on a floppy.

Well, I've completed the steps 1 and 2 and the mounting of the floppy
on step 3 but failed after that. I do not get on what "change to the
directory where you saved the file and copy the file linux_bs.bin to
the floppy using the mcopy linux_bs.bin a: command" means. I found my
linux_bs.bin file located in my root folder but do not know how to
copy it to the MS-DOS mounted floppy using mcopy.

Any halp would be appreciated,
Regards,
Julian

mcopy-ing linux_bs.bin on a MS-DOS formated floppy

Post by Michael Fei » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 03:39:00

[...]

Quote:>Step3. The "linux_bs.bin" file needs to be in the Windows NT/2000
>partition of your hard disk. If you have a floppy drive and a blank,
>MS-DOS-formatted floppy you can mount it under Linux using the "mount
>-t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" command. After you have the floppy disk
>mounted, change to the directory where you saved the file and copy the
>file "linux_bs.bin" to the floppy using the "mcopy linux_bs.bin a:"
>command. Skip the next step if you have this file stored on a floppy.

>Well, I've completed the steps 1 and 2 and the mounting of the floppy
>on step 3 but failed after that. I do not get on what "change to the
>directory where you saved the file and copy the file linux_bs.bin to
>the floppy using the mcopy linux_bs.bin a: command" means. I found my
>linux_bs.bin file located in my root folder but do not know how to
>copy it to the MS-DOS mounted floppy using mcopy.

I seem to recall that mcopy worked fine for me but that the floppy was
never mounted for that.  Try to do it with an unmounted floppy.  If
the floppy was mounted, you could just use 'cp' instead of 'mcopy'.  I
am not sure if Windows could read it then, though.

Either way, I guess you could just try it.

I hope it helps,
   Michael

1. Can you unformat a mistakenly MS-DOS formated Linux drive?

ok, this is the stupidest thing i've ever done at 1 AM.

i was installing a SCSI hard driDOS drive and I
set it up as my D: drive to DOS.  And it seemed to be
there for a while.

My linux setup was on IDE drive 2(which MS-DOS format
assumed(??) was the D: drive, arrgh!)

I tried MS-DOS unformat but it sucked on this one.
Do I have to reload or is there some other unfortunate soul
out there who has had to overcome whis more gracefully?

arrgh!

joebloe
--
MoeJoe

2. printer/filter support

3. reading Sys V.4 (ufs) formated 3 1/4 inch floppy disk

4. Desktop Gone?

5. Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?

6. Twinhead

7. How to install filesystems on a dos - formated floppy-disk???

8. Redhat Bug?

9. /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /sbin or /opt/bin, /var/opt/bin - I'm confused.

10. Mcopy / floppy drives and misc.

11. floppy: mcopy vs mount

12. floppy disk problem: mount, mcopy, etc

13. Problem reading floppy using mcopy