MH for Linux

Post by Franz Fackelma » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

|> Does anyone know of an MH *source* package that compiles
|> out-of-the-box (or close to it) on Linux 1.2.1?  Someone told me to
|> grab the debian *source* package of MH 6.8.3 (not the binaries,
|> because I have Slackware and so would want to build it from scratch to
|> have all the configuration and paths set to match what is on my
|> machine).  So far compiling has been hell.  I get stuff like
|> "Makefile:123: *** multiple target patterns.  Stop." Another time I
|> got syntax errors in /usr/lib/stdlib.h (because the provided conf/MH file
|> had "-traditional" as an option into gcc), and all sorts of
|> other fun stuff.  If even the Makefiles have syntax errors in them, I
|> figure I have no hope of building this.
|>
|> So, is there a better place for me to look to find an MH that will
|> build fairly cleanly under Linux?
|>
|> Thanks!
|>

|> --
|> Rich Carreiro

|> P5-100/Linux 1.2.1

A few month ago I compiled mh 6.8.3. I took the original sources, applied the
diffs found on sunsite.unc.edu in /pub/Linux/system/Mail/readers
(mh-6.8.3-diffs.tar.gz), and as I can remember, there were no major problems.

Regards
-- Franz

PS: The single problem I have with MH on linux is, that comp doesn't work
    with the forw statement in compose files. If someone experienced the same,
    and found a solution, I would be very happy to here of it.

 IBM - European Networking Center           Tel.: +49 6221 59-4563

 D-69115 Heidelberg                         VM:   mazvm01(fackel)

MH for Linux

Post by James A. Robins » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone know of an MH *source* package that compiles
>out-of-the-box (or close to it) on Linux 1.2.1?  Someone told me to
>grab the debian *source* package of MH 6.8.3 (not the binaries,

Urm.  I remember telling somebody get the binary, I hope I didn't say
to get the source...  In any case no, I don't believe MH will compile
under Linux until somebody gets in there and fixes the shared
libraries again (Brandon Allbery did this last time, when he did the
port that I used). This fix is probably not going to happen because MH
supposedly compiles fine under ELF.  I'm the maintainer of the Debian
MH package, and I've given up on doing any more versions until we move
to ELF.

Quote:>"Makefile:123: *** multiple target patterns.  Stop." Another time I

Hmm, this would be the gmake conflicts I think.  I thought I had fixed
those... I had to run perl on each of the makefiles to change
occurances of ^text: to ^text:\n\t:

        perl -i~ -ne 's/^(\w+:)/$1\n\t/g;' `find ./ -name Makefile`

Jim
--
http://plato.simons-rock.edu/~jimr/

1. Help with XMH and MH (was: Re: MH for Linux, *please*!

I fixed it by logging on as root and doing

    $ chmod o+w /var/spool/mail

--
    If email to me bounces, make sure you deleted the D from the end of my
                     username in my email address.

2. Epson Stylus Color 400 & SO5.0

3. MH for Linux

4. Proposal: Virtual Block Devices