Windows 98, Windows 95, and Linux with only LILO??

Windows 98, Windows 95, and Linux with only LILO??

Post by E. Bruce Lynn, I » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Since my current hard disk is now filled, I have just purchased a 10.2
GB Western Digital disk.  I was wondering if it would be possible to do
the following:

Use Windows 98 fdisk to create a C drive 3 GB (FAT32) for Windows 98, a
D drive 1 GB Win 98 data partition, an E drive 3 GB unformatted for
Corel Linux to install into, an F drive 1 GB to be formatted as FAT32
and
later reformatted by Corel Linux for use as a data partition, and a
final G
drive 2 GB which I would format as FAT16 into which I would install
Windows 95 for my 7 year old son to use which would be very beneficial
for me as it would keep all of his activities away from the partitions
that have my business software on them.

My understanding is that Windows should be installed before Linux.  What

I am wondering is if I install Windows 95 first, can I then install
Windows 98, and have the computer boot into Windows 98, until I install
Corel Linux with LILO, and if so will LILO allow me to boot into both
Windows
95, and Windows 98, as well as all of the options for booting Linux?

--
E. Bruce Lynn, II

Windows 98, Windows 95, and Linux with only LILO??

Post by Eggert.Eh.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Since my current hard disk is now filled, I have just purchased a 10.2
>GB Western Digital disk.  I was wondering if it would be possible to do
>the following:

>Use Windows 98 fdisk to create a C drive 3 GB (FAT32) for Windows 98, a
>D drive 1 GB Win 98 data partition, an E drive 3 GB unformatted for
>Corel Linux to install into, an F drive 1 GB to be formatted as FAT32
>and
>later reformatted by Corel Linux for use as a data partition, and a
>final G
>drive 2 GB which I would format as FAT16 into which I would install
>Windows 95 for my 7 year old son to use which would be very beneficial
>for me as it would keep all of his activities away from the partitions
>that have my business software on them.

>My understanding is that Windows should be installed before Linux.  What

>I am wondering is if I install Windows 95 first, can I then install
>Windows 98, and have the computer boot into Windows 98, until I install
>Corel Linux with LILO, and if so will LILO allow me to boot into both
>Windows
>95, and Windows 98, as well as all of the options for booting Linux?

I guess you can do all that with LILO. Even a little more comfortable you can do
it with chos:
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/boot/loaders/chos-0.84.tar.gz
it works perfectly for me on different machines. It has configurable boot menus,
and you can set passwords to each entry. As LILO, it must be installed on the
Linux partition, but can be launched from the master boot record.

Answers please in this newsgroup!

1. Introductory Edition IBM techexplorer Version 2.5 PR2 : Windows 95/98/NT, Linux, AIX, Solaris and SGI

The Introductory Edition of IBM's techexplorer Hypermedia
Browser Version 2.5 Preview Release 2 is now available for
Windows 95/98/NT, Linux on Intel, AIX, Solaris and SGI!

The Introductory Edition is a web browser plug-in and viewer
for a large subset of TeX, LaTeX, and AMS-LaTeX, as well as
MathML, the Mathematical Markup Language from the W3C.

New in Version 2.5 PR 2 is support for almost all of the
content tags for MathML. More features from LaTeX have also
been added, including most of the picture environment and
support for lists of tables and figures.

For more details and the no-charge downloads, see
http://www.software.ibm.com/techexplorer/
http://www.software.ibm.com/techexplorer/downloads/config_notes.html

Version 2.5 of the Professional Edition will be available at
a later date and will include Java and C++ support for the
W3C Document Object Model API.

Angel Diaz
Manager, Advanced Internet Publishing
IBM Research

2. IBM dismisses SCO

3. can Linux see windows 95/98 network neighborhood??

4. netscape6? recommended?

5. Windows 95/98 -> to linux Samba; diald problems

6. stability: kde 3.0 vs kde 2.2 ?

7. Windows 95/98 under Linux

8. GNATS and the WWW frontend for FreeBSD

9. IBM techexplorer Hypermedia Browser Version 2.5: Windows 95/98/NT, Linux, AIX, Sun, IRIX

10. [Fwd: Windows 95/98 -> to linux Samba; diald problems]

11. IBM techexplorer Version 3.0 Preview Release 1: Windows 95/98/NT, Macintosh, Linux, AIX, Solaris, SGI

12. IBM techexplorer Hypermedia Browser Version 2.5: Windows 95/98/NT, Linux, AIX, Sun, IRIX