mandrake6.0 and 3dfx voodoo3 3000 question

mandrake6.0 and 3dfx voodoo3 3000 question

Post by Astr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

i hate to sound like a clueless first timer,
but if it walks like a duck.... well, anyways:

I'm having severe trouble seting up Mandrake6.0
to work with my 3dfx Voodoo3 3000.  The graphics
setup doesn't have the card in it, and the
instructions on the 3dfx site:

http://www.3dfxgamers.com/view.asp?IOID=31

seem a little advanced (oh gawd- did that sound
bad or what; this is humiliating, i know dos,
windows, and macs like the back of my hand, but
linux is turning out to be a bit of a challenge)
for the mere likes of me.  They have instructions
that i could probably trudge through, but they don't
have a directory that you are supposed to put the
drivers in, etc etc, and also it says that some of
them are only distributed as source (!) and that i
have to compile them (again, a little off of my
linux skill level).  If anyone could possibly help
me out in any way, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the bash shell at this point, can get into
the KDE interface, but only at a 300x200 (cant remember
specifically the size) virtual desktop, resolution
step controls don't work.

=================
Thanks in advance
=================

LINUX distribution:
  Linux Mandrake release 6.0(Venus)
   *It states on the box that mandrake 6.0
    is based on redhat 6.0, if that helps.

LINUX INFO (info on screen at boot)

Linux Version: 2.2.9-19mdk
 -compiled #1 WED MAY 19 19:53:00 GMT 1999
One 400MHz K6-3 Processor, 63M RAM
799.54BOGOMIPS TOTAL
localhost.localdomain

LINUX INFO that 3dfx setup instructions
call for:

-Glibc Version:  libc-2.1.1.so*
-XFree86 Version:
  *Name:     XFree86
  *Version:  3.3.3.1
  *Release:  58mdk

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION:

*AMD k6-3 400 (4.0x100)
*64meg pc100 ram
*3dfx voodoo3 3000 (16mb agp, 350mhz ramdac, 166mhz
 3d core and memory)
*6.4gb Quantum udma/33 hd
*TMC AIV5G+ mainboard (via mp3 chipset)

Post by wayn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> i hate to sound like a clueless first timer,
> but if it walks like a duck.... well, anyways:

> I'm having severe trouble seting up Mandrake6.0
> to work with my 3dfx Voodoo3 3000.  The graphics
> setup doesn't have the card in it, and the
> instructions on the 3dfx site:

> http://www.3dfxgamers.com/view.asp?IOID=31

> seem a little advanced (oh gawd- did that sound
> bad or what; this is humiliating, i know dos,
> windows, and macs like the back of my hand, but
> linux is turning out to be a bit of a challenge)
> for the mere likes of me.  They have instructions
> that i could probably trudge through, but they don't
> have a directory that you are supposed to put the
> drivers in, etc etc, and also it says that some of
> them are only distributed as source (!) and that i
> have to compile them (again, a little off of my
> linux skill level).  If anyone could possibly help
> me out in any way, it would be greatly appreciated.

> I am in the bash shell at this point, can get into
> the KDE interface, but only at a 300x200 (cant remember
> specifically the size) virtual desktop, resolution
> step controls don't work.

> =================
> Thanks in advance
> =================

> LINUX distribution:
>   Linux Mandrake release 6.0(Venus)
>    *It states on the box that mandrake 6.0
>     is based on redhat 6.0, if that helps.

> LINUX INFO (info on screen at boot)

> Linux Version: 2.2.9-19mdk
>  -compiled #1 WED MAY 19 19:53:00 GMT 1999
> One 400MHz K6-3 Processor, 63M RAM
> 799.54BOGOMIPS TOTAL
> localhost.localdomain

> LINUX INFO that 3dfx setup instructions
> call for:

> -Glibc Version:  libc-2.1.1.so*
> -XFree86 Version:
>   *Name:     XFree86
>   *Version:  3.3.3.1
>   *Release:  58mdk

> HELLO ASTRO:You have everything you need to set up that card with

mandrake6.0 on your installation disk under apps and then 3dfx.The first
steps to take are to install using expert mode.You do this by typing
expert and hitting enter at the first setup prompt.When it gets to the
card part pick unlisted
and pick the vga16 server.This will give you a small enough desktop to
work in .Then mount your installation cd with the icon on the desktop.Go
to apps then 3dfx.Install everything but the glide-2.These are easy to
install because their rpm packages that have an install
buttion.IMPORTANT:Install the one called xf86setup last.This is a tool
that you can use to set up everything from your card to mouse.Once its
installed you can start it up and configure everything.After its installed
just click on the top right file to start it up.Its slow to load so if it
takes a minute to pop in dont think anything of it.Once you see it you
will know what to do .After everything is done and you hit ok you must
logout and hit reset server for it to take effect.IF you have problems

1. mandrake6.0 and 3dfx voodoo3 3000 question

[...]

*TMC AIV5G+ mainboard (via mvp3 chipset)

2. sndconfig error Dell Latitude

3. 3DFX Voodoo3 3000 supported?

4. Why Linux?

5. Voodoo3 3000 Question/Help

6. PS/2 Mouse

7. 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 question

8. Newbie needs an explanation

9. Probs with voodoo3 3000, rh6.1 and test3Dfx

10. 3dfx voodoo 3000 agp

11. Can Voodoo3 3000 on Redhat 6.0??

12. Anyone successfully using X 3.9.16 with a Voodoo3 3000?

13. (XFree86 4.0) voodoo3 3000 agp displays "garbage" in quake3