Q: diff btwn "LILO: linux single" and "LILO: linux 1" ?

Q: diff btwn "LILO: linux single" and "LILO: linux 1" ?

Post by Dean S. Messi » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I've been trying without success to boot my (slackware 3.1) linux
system single-user by typing "linux single" at the LILO: prompt.  I
saw a message go by (really fast) during the boot sequence that said
somthing like "booting single user" but when all is said-and-done, the
machine is up multi-user; I did a `runlevel' and it showed that the
current level was 3.  Also everything was mounted and all the usual
daemons were running. So it was clearly not running single user.

Furthermore, when as root I do `init s' while in multi-user mode it comes up
in multi-user mode again.

Finally based on some messages I saw in `comp.os.linux.setep' I tried
typing `linux 1' at the LILO: prompt and it worked.

1) Is there an FAQ explicitly expaining the ins-and-outs of all this.
   I've looked and can't find one.

2) Any guesses on why my system is behaving like it is?

3) Why have I seen so many people giving the 'linux single'
   advice as a general rule?  My system is (I certainly hope)
   a vanilla Slackware system, so this advice ought to be
   failing for many others.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide.

Dean S. Messing
Digital Video Research
Sharp Laboratories of America