Linux on a Dell Latitude XPi P75D laptop

Post by Steve Lint » Fri, 27 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I'm trying to install Linux 1.2.13 (Slackware 3.0) on a Dell Latitude XPi
>P75D (dual-scan) laptop.  After several failed attempts, I finally installed
>it,
>but am still having a reoccurring display problem:  my display will go berzerk
>after about 15 minutes and will range from displaying no text at all (though
>the
>text I type in is accepted by the OS), to wrapping text that begins in the
>middle of the screen.  If I power the machine down and let it rest for 30
>minutes, things work fine again for another 15 minutes or so.  Even after the
>screen goes berzerk in Linux, I can warm boot it to DOS from which the problem
>never appears.  Has anyone seen this problem or successfully installed Linux on
>this laptop?

That's VERY interesting. I have a sort of converse problem with 1.2.8
on the same hardware. When I cold-boot my system the console display
is messed up. I blind-type my way into X or an SVGALIB application,
run that for 15 minutes or so and when I come out, I may have to do
setfont, but after that evrything is fine. When I soft boot from DOS,
reboot linux, or even power-on reset the system, when it is physically
warm, it runs perfectly.

For me this is no more than a nuisance, but I'd like to know what is causing it.

        Steve Linton

PS to run X you have to pretend that the video chip set is clgd5428, since the 7543 is not supported yet.

1. Linux on a Dell Latitude XPi P75D laptop

i'm having the same problems... did you find a solution?

 Steven M. Grzywinski |  "Indifference, the plague that moves  | Views are
 "concerned citizen"  |   throughout this land..."             | my own....

2. Bug in sysadmsh?

3. DELL Latitude XPi P75D: Xfree?

4. _NEED_SHRLIB_libc_4 ? I have libc.so.4

5. Linux Installation under Dell Laptop Latitude XPI 135 without CD ROM

6. Need HW advice for Linux PC

7. Dell Latitude XPi Laptop Help

8. cut and grep command

9. Dell Latitude XPi laptop

10. XF86config file for Dell Latitude XPi 120D Laptop

11. How to change time on built-in clock in Dell Latitude XPi laptop?

12. Freebsd on a Dell Latitude XPi 150 CD Laptop ??

13. Dell Laptop Latitude xpi