HELP!Man Pgs/Xvideo colordepth

Post by Brian » Mon, 06 May 1996 04:00:00

OK,
I just installed Slackware 3.0 (not the best but it was available)  I
know I installed extra man pages but I can't seem to access any of them.
 Is there a special program that I did not load that has to read them?
Not even Xman works.

Also,
I have 2megs on my video board and I want to run 1024x768 with 16bit
color.  My Xserver is up and running but only in 256 color (OUUUCH!)
Netscape looks really bad in 256.  How do I switch color depths.

I would RTFM but It Won't let me!!

One last Q.
Which compiler can I use to optimize my Kernel for a Pentium???

Thanx in advance for any Help!

http://www.accessone.com/~brianl

Post by Chris Peti » Mon, 06 May 1996 04:00:00

> OK,
> I just installed Slackware 3.0 (not the best but it was available)  I
> know I installed extra man pages but I can't seem to access any of them.
>  Is there a special program that I did not load that has to read them?
> Not even Xman works.

        Try "man XF86Config"

Quote:> Also,
> I have 2megs on my video board and I want to run 1024x768 with 16bit
> color.  My Xserver is up and running but only in 256 color (OUUUCH!)
> Netscape looks really bad in 256.  How do I switch color depths.

> I would RTFM but It Won't let me!!

        There will be a line labeled "Depth" in Section "Screen",
subsection "Display" --- this is the # of bit-planes to use.  Set
to 16 for 64K colors, 24 for True Color.

        I've found 24-bit a LOT slower on my machine, than 8-bit.

        At least for high speed graphics apps, such as games.

Quote:> One last Q.
> Which compiler can I use to optimize my Kernel for a Pentium???

        You need a new kernel --- Version 1.3.90 and later support
compiling optimized for the 486, Pentium and PPro.

1. vim pg up/ pg down

Does anyone know how to make the pg up and pg down keys work with vim.
They work with elvis.  I tried to read the man page, but it wasn't
included with my slackware dist.  Is there a .vimrc config file in which
I can map pg up and pg down to <ctrl>F and <Ctrl>B?  I don't want to use
something like kbd package b/c I only want it for this application, not
all of X.  Any help is greatly appreciated
        TIA, Broc
--
                                                --------------------
                                                    Broc Stirton

                                                --------------------

2. Openstep 1.0 german on Solaris 2.5.2 english ??

3. PG-UP / PG-DOWN in mc

4. Linux on laptop

5. Perl script 2 xref man pgs?

6. Kernel too Big

7. Dullard Question about man pgs and core dump

8. HELP - Bad partition table!

9. Man Man more man?

10. Help: getting 24-bit colordepth on Ultra-10

11. man oh man oh man!

12. How to format BSD man pages (groff man) using "classical" troff man?

13. tk man, perl man, and man servers