1. kernel_version, *** Cannot resolve kernel symbols, and kernel modules
Hi all - Please help if you can!
I installed Linux PPC R4 from the CD on my G3/266 and used bootX from
the outset. The CD installed 2.1.24, bootX started things up with
2.1.125 (grabbed separately).
Fine. I had problems with serial port functionality, which I put down
to the fact that it wouldn't load modules. I acquired the 2.1.125
modules and untarred them in root, they seemed to parallel 2.1.24
modules fine. Now I get Unable to resolve messages.
I tried 2.1.24 using Open Firmware instead of bootX. Lots of pain to
get it going, ppp is not a module here and neither is serial, so I can
work a little better, but still won't load modules.
What's going on?
So far as I can tell, /boot has a matching vmlinux and System.map, I've
run quik. I've run ldconfig in case this helps it to find symbols
(don't seem to have a manual page for this). /var/log/debug includes a
kernel message soon after startup that says it has successfully loaded
10000 symbols from System.map. kerneld is running.
insmod -v appletalk (for example)
produces (on all kernel versions) something like...
(found a load of useless symbols)
Cannot find kernel_version in kernel or module
Seriously paraphrased, sorry.
I tried recompiling 2.1.24, I made sure module versioning was on.
What is the module-info file and how do I create it? It wasn't created
by Makeing the source, or Making modules.
depmod -a produces lots of *** Unresolved symbol errors. I think it is
depmod -a that produces the same stuff during boot.
nm -g module.o lists normal simple stuff like strcpy as being things
that it needs to link to. Presumably these are statically compiled into
the kernel and regular libc is not used. So again, all it should have
to do is to find these in System.map, right? And they seem to be listed
Sign. I'm going round in circles, but I think that I've covered most
Thanks for any help
2. cable modem and Linux box
3. Rebuild kernel with ACPI on RH 9 gives un-resolved symbols
4. Help -- NCSA httpd problem!
5. Cannot install sbpcd module - cannot install linux:(
6. Cable through Mandrake 7.1
7. Please help, Cannot resolve symbol 'KkbLookupKeySym'
8. Patch: linux-2.5.31/include/linux/blkdev.h paranethesis problem in BLK__DEFAULT_QUEUE
9. Problem with symbol resolving in dyn-loaded modules.
10. install halts: "cannot create /modules/modules.cgz..."
11. redhat 4.0 install, 'can't resolve symbol' errors...
12. How do I un-rename, or un-delete or un-compile?
13. xinit:can't resolve symbol After Installing AcceleratedX