USR Modem PnP

Post by August R Buerk » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have a USR Sportster which I user for Win95 in PnP mode (no
jumpers).  To get this to work under Linux, what is my best option?  I
plan to set some jumpers and configure it under Win95 as non-Pnp, then
see what happens under Linux.  Is this a good idea?

USR Modem PnP

Post by Perry Gri » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a USR Sportster which I user for Win95 in PnP mode (no
> jumpers).  To get this to work under Linux, what is my best option?  I
> plan to set some jumpers and configure it under Win95 as non-Pnp, then
> see what happens under Linux.  Is this a good idea?

This should work.  USR does make a winmodem, and I assume
you did not get one of these.  That the sportster still
has a real hardware UART...

If you want to use PnP with linux 2.0.x kernel, you should
get a package called isapnp tools.  It has a program that
identifies your PnP boards and another program, you can run
from /etc/rc.d/rc.local, that configures you PnP boards.
To get the modem to work, you may also have to assign the
IRQ (in /etc/rc.d/rc.local after PnP initialization) using
setserial.  See "man setserial".

Perry Grieb
--

Perry Grieb

Special of the week: SPAM proofread for $500 per message.

USR Modem PnP

Post by Kingfi » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>> I have a USR Sportster which I user for Win95 in PnP mode (no
>> jumpers).  To get this to work under Linux, what is my best option?  I
>> plan to set some jumpers and configure it under Win95 as non-Pnp, then
>> see what happens under Linux.  Is this a good idea?

>This should work.  USR does make a winmodem, and I assume
>you did not get one of these.  That the sportster still
>has a real hardware UART...

Is that to mean the winmodem does not have a UART? Winmodems are cheap.
Just curious as to why they wouldn't work.

---
---   Joshua Fisher
---   Cincinnati, Ohio  USA

---

USR Modem PnP

Post by Richard Stein » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

>>This should work.  USR does make a winmodem, and I assume
>>you did not get one of these.  That the sportster still
>>has a real hardware UART...

>Is that to mean the winmodem does not have a UART? Winmodems are cheap.
>Just curious as to why they wouldn't work.

A WinModem implements some of the functionality which is normally put
in the serial hardware in its driver software.

That's why users of other operating systems like Linux, or DOS, or OS/2
can't use a WinModem (which only has Windows 95 drivers) -- without the
specific driver, the modem simply cannot function as a modem.

--

         Written online using slrn 0.9.3.2 and fte 0.45 for Linux!
                 The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

USR Modem PnP

Post by Chang W » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> spake unto us, saying:

> Grieb)

> >>This should work.?? USR does make a winmodem, and I assume
> >>you did not get one of these.?? That the sportster still
> >>has a real hardware UART...

> >Is that to mean the winmodem does not have a UART? Winmodems are
> cheap.
> >Just curious as to why they wouldn't work.

> A WinModem implements some of the functionality which is normally put
> in the serial hardware in its driver software.

> That's why users of other operating systems like Linux, or DOS, or
> OS/2
> can't use a WinModem (which only has Windows 95 drivers) -- without
> the
> specific driver, the modem simply cannot function as a modem.

> --

> Bloomington, MN
> ???????????????? Written online using slrn 0.9.3.2 and fte 0.45 for
> Linux!
> ???????????????????????????????? The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then
> Then.

I have one modem problem. In win95, control panel/modem test show that
it has a 16550 uart. However setserial in linux said that uart: unknown
and minicom and seyon do not work at all. Does this mean my modem is
really
a WinModem? What I have is a Packard Bell PLT 2240 computer.

Thanks.

-Chang??