xhost /etc/X*.hosts question

Post by Alexandre Lokchin » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello!

I've got a question about xhost. The man page about Xhost says that the
file containing trusted hosts is /etc/X*.hosts.
But there is no file of that name in /etc so I think it has to be
created (am I right?). But I don't know what I have to put in, what is
the model of an entry for that file?

Thank you in advance.
Alexandre Lokchine.

xhost /etc/X*.hosts question

Post by Jerry Needel » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

It just contains a list of the hosts that you want to give access to:
such as:

host.name.edu
another.host.com

At least this worked for me!! Good Luck - Jerry

> Hello!

> I've got a question about xhost. The man page about Xhost says that the
> file containing trusted hosts is /etc/X*.hosts.
> But there is no file of that name in /etc so I think it has to be
> created (am I right?). But I don't know what I have to put in, what is
> the model of an entry for that file?

> Thank you in advance.
> Alexandre Lokchine.

Space Science Center/Morse Hall   | Voice: (603) 862 2732
University Of New Hampshire       | FAX:   (603) 862 0311
Durham, NH 03824                  |

1. /etc/X*.hosts and xhost

I'm trying to find the syntax for the alleged /etc/X*.hosts. Hinted at
by the man page in Redhat 6 for xhost, this set of files might be
useful for remembering my xhost authorizations. I would assume that a
file named X0.hosts could contain a list of xhost +host lines. Is this
correct, and if so, what is the syntax for the file?

If not, where can I put the xhost commands so they will run without me
having to play with them (rc.local fails, even after init 5 level,
apparently due to the display not being up already, or xhost itself
not having permission to display on X yet).

Or maybe I need to use xauth? Any advice?

At the moment, only root is allowed to spawn new windows in the
display, even if it is a non-root user that logs in to X. I have to
keep using xhost as root, which is annoying.

Thanks!

2. Auto-loading kernel modules

3. /etc/hosts.deny & /etc/hosts.allow ??

4. Any one got apache + mod_perl + php + Embperl + DBI.pm to work???

5. /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow

6. Network Mgmt on Solaris

7. Multihomed Hosts - /etc/hosts - NIS+ Maps Question

8. ISO ?

9. /etc/hosts (or NIS host map): official-host-name vs nicknames

10. Looking for sample /etc/named.conf and etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts

11. Help with /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf

12. Sendmail 8.6.12: using /etc/hosts to send to domainless hosts

13. /etc/rc.net, /etc/host.conf and ps problems