problem printing to Linux from Windows

Post by dj.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Okay, I was e*d to get my Canon BJC-80 printer working using the
drivers for the Canon BJC-600, so I decided it was time to share the
printer.  I can get it to show up in Samba and in the Windows Network
Places (ME), however, when I add the printer on the windoze box and
attempt to print, I get that there was an unknown error in printing
and that I should restart the computer...however, that of course did
not solve the problem.  I will put down here what I have entered into
Samba and see if anyone can offer advice:

[global]
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
   lock directory = /var/lock/samba

#there is of course other stuff under [global], but it does not
#pertain to the current situation

[printers]
     comment = All Printers
     path = /var/spool/lpd/canon
     browseable = no
     public = yes
     writable = no
     printable = yes

[canon]
    comment = Linux printer
    path = /var/spool/lpd/canon
    printer name = canon
    public = yes
    writeable = yes
    printable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    user = sinbeast
    print command = lpr -P canon

Hope someone can help.

Dan

problem printing to Linux from Windows

Post by Nick Ruis » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 20:46:26

Are you sure you have the printer set up correctly on the linux box
(i.e. can you print a PS test page from printtool?)?

problem printing to Linux from Windows

Post by dj.. » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:44:36

yeah, I can't print from every application I can think of, staroffice,
netscape, the test...etc

I have Samba 2.0.7 and the share has the following parameters:

[global]
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
   lock directory = /var/lock/samba

#there is of course other stuff under [global], but it does not
#pertain to the current situation

[printers]
     comment = All Printers
     path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
     browseable = no
     public = yes
     writable = no
     printable = yes

[lp]
    comment = Linux printer
    path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
    printer name = canon
    public = yes
    writeable = yes
    printable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    user = sinbeast
    print command = lpr -P lp

I just don't understand where the locup is.  Again, I get an "unknown
error" in windows (and I do know how to set up a windows network
printer, I have done it before).  I figure there must be something
wrong with the way I have it set up.  Perhaps I need to have the share
in /var/spool/samba or something, but I am not sure.

Dan

Quote:>Are you sure you have the printer set up correctly on the linux box
>(i.e. can you print a PS test page from printtool?)?

1. problem printing to Linux from Windows

Okay, I was excited to get my Canon BJC-80 printer working using the
[...]

2. Openwin - sreen resolution / refreshrate

3. It's Possible Printing Postscript Documents with lpr (linux) or print command ( windows)?

4. outstanding challenge

5. printing from windows to a linux print spool

6. CD Writer for Solaris?

7. problem to print from windows NT to Linux with apsfilter !!!

8. printer question

9. Print Problems with Linux and Windows

10. problems printing to intel NetportExpress PRO/100 print server with redhat 5.2 linux

11. Problems printing using a linux print server

12. print window and print screen

13. Print from Solaris to Windows 2003 Print Server