Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error

Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error

Post by JMNugen » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

First off----I DONT HAVE A WINMODEM.....(just wanted to get that out of the
way first)....its a internal ISA USRobotics 56k Voice V.90 .....

Dual boot system, with Win98 and Redhat 6.0, modem is on Com2 ( I think
TTYS1.....right??)

So, I'm trying to setup PPP, I think I've got it all setup correctly(w/ all
my ISP's info ) , Currently I'm logged in as ROOT and trying to dial out.
PPPD trys to dial but gives me the following error...

"Sorry, the modem is busy"    retry/cancel

Not sure where to go from here, I've read alot of documentation (about three
hours worth), I dont think its a permissions problem since I'm logged in as
ROOT.

Secondly, I've created a user account in my name, and gave it the
permissions I want, but when I log in under that account, and try to dial
out, I get an error like
"you need to remove the lock option"..blah blah blah......(makes me think I
dont have permissions to some folder I need ....)

So then I thought...I'll create a "dial-out" group, and add my user account
into it,...but after I add myself in  and go back and check, my membership
has dissapeared.....What gives..???

I would think its a bad idea to dial-out logged in as ROOT, so I would like
a clean option that entails me logging in as my user account and being able
to dial out....

THANKS......jason

Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error

Post by Andrew Eblin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> its a internal ISA USRobotics 56k Voice V.90 .....

OK, I have played this game with an ISA internal USR 33.6 modem!

Quote:

>Dual boot system, with Win98 and Redhat 6.0, modem is on Com2 ( I think
>TTYS1.....right??)

Yup, ttyS1 is right but you are probably going to have to disable comm2 in
your bios (as in disable the chip which makes the comm2 socket on the back
work) and then you should be up and running.  I know that linux should be
able to cope with sharing the interupt for comm2 and comm4 but it doesn't
seem to work with USR modems (esp. pnp ones.)  Incidentally, I had to set
jumpers on my modem to tell it to use comm2 and to turn of plug and pray.

HTH,

Andrew

Post by Me » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> First off----I DONT HAVE A WINMODEM.....(just wanted to get that out of the
> way first)....its a internal ISA USRobotics 56k Voice V.90 .....

> Dual boot system, with Win98 and Redhat 6.0, modem is on Com2 ( I think
> TTYS1.....right??

If you have another modem installed that you use with Win98 you need to
physically remove it.  Also, is your modem harware jumpered for COM2 or pnp.  If
pnp disable it and jumper for COM2.  Hope that helps, I had the same problem and
thats what worked for me with COL.

Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error

Post by Robert Grizzar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I see this:

Quote:> "Sorry, the modem is busy"    retry/cancel

and start thinking about things like lock files,then I see:

Quote:> "you need to remove the lock option"..blah blah blah......(makes me think I

and I have to ask, "Do you have a file in /var/lock called something like
'LCK..ttyS1' or 'LCK..modem'?"

Quote:> dont have permissions to some folder I need ....)

Not permissions; if you do have the LCK.. file then the modem is actually
flagged as being in use by some other program and none other may access it.

HTH

Rob

Post by Mark McCom » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> and I have to ask, "Do you have a file in /var/lock called something like
> 'LCK..ttyS1' or 'LCK..modem'?"

> Not permissions; if you do have the LCK.. file then the modem is actually
> flagged as being in use by some other program and none other may access it.

> HTH

> Rob

I am getting the "modem is locked" message.  I checked and I do have
a LCK..modem file.  Now what?  Do I delete it?  The file contains this:

00798 kppp user

I am trying to set up my modem for use with KPPP.  If it's the user, why
won't it unlock the file for itself?

Post by chroniclo.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > and I have to ask, "Do you have a file in /var/lock called something
like
> > 'LCK..ttyS1' or 'LCK..modem'?"

> > Not permissions; if you do have the LCK.. file then the modem is
actually
> > flagged as being in use by some other program and none other may
access it.

> > HTH

> > Rob

> I am getting the "modem is locked" message.  I checked and I do have
> a LCK..modem file.  Now what?  Do I delete it?  The file contains
this:

> 00798 kppp user

> I am trying to set up my modem for use with KPPP.  If it's the user,
why
> won't it unlock the file for itself?

I am awaiting a reply to this question myself, as I am a lurker with the
EXACT same problem.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error

Post by Robert Grizzar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[followups reset to comp.os.linux.hardware]

>> > and I have to ask, "Do you have a file in /var/lock called something
> like
>> > 'LCK..ttyS1' or 'LCK..modem'?"

>> > Not permissions; if you do have the LCK.. file then the modem is
> actually
>> > flagged as being in use by some other program and none other may
> access it.

>> > HTH

>> > Rob

>> I am getting the "modem is locked" message.  I checked and I do have
>> a LCK..modem file.  Now what?  Do I delete it?  The file contains
> this:

>> 00798 kppp user

>> I am trying to set up my modem for use with KPPP.  If it's the user,
> why
>> won't it unlock the file for itself?

> I am awaiting a reply to this question myself, as I am a lurker with the
> EXACT same problem.

I saw the question in my E-mail first so I answered it there.

In a nutshell, a program accessing the modem exited in an abnormal
fashion (via "halt" in the middle of a minicom session perhaps)
and it didn't get the opportunity to do any housekeeping
-- which means /var/lock/LCK..modem is still there and when ppp goes
to set itself up it looks to see if the modem is available and
discovers it isn't.  The fact the process that wrote the lock
file has been dead for three days is immaterial as long as that
file is still there.

Run "less /var/lock/LCK..modem (or whatever the name of the file
is)" and see what program wrote it then run "ps ax | grep
<name_of_program>" and look for *two* hits -- one from grep
and one from the process that wrote the lock file.  If there is
no second hit then delete the lock file and kppp should run normally.

Quote:> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. problem seting up modem SupraExpress 56iPro: "Sorry, the modem is busy"

I have problems setting up my modem. This is a PCI Diamand
SupraExpress 56i Pro (Diamond multimedia Systems), standard on a
Compaq Presario 5722. I have installed Redhat Linux 6.1. (next to
Win98, using Lilo on MBR).

Info, from Win98 (My Computer - properties):
 - It is on Com2 (02f8): (do /dev/ttyS1, also /dev/modem by link).
 - IRQ 11(for DOS: IRQ3)

When using minicom (after minicom -s for setting up), nothing appears
on the screen when using ATZ or AT&V.

Using kppp, when selecting "querying modem" it says "Sorry, the modem
is busy"

I'm new to Linux, and any help/tip is more than welcome at this stage!

I hope I've given enough info - if not: let me know.

Regards,
Theo

2. export vmalloc_to_page (2.4)

3. PCMCIA modem: "Sorry, the modem is busy."

4. Xconfig file needed

5. Can't see modem/"modem busy" error

6. Linux Multilink PPP connection with 2 dial-up modems

7. kppp problem - "Sorry, the modem is busy"

8. I need help with procmeter-2.5

9. "Sorry, the modem is busy"

10. "sorry modem is busy"

11. "Sorry, the modem is busy"

12. kppp says "sorry,modem busy"

13. Modem gives "Sorry, modem is not responding"