Help with RedHat 5.1 kernel compilation

Post by daemo » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Greetz 2 all! For 2 nights in row I'm trying to build a custom kernel for
my
shiny new Manhattan, but after compilation the system fails to load all
modules apart of my BusLogic SCSI. On boot the system displays a following
message: "Failed to find modules dependencies.
/lib/modules/preferred/modules.dep...file doesn't exist" I'm compiling the
kernel exactly in the same way I always done it ,using manual that came
with
RedHat distribution cd. It never happened before with any other RedHat
version and I had 4.1, 4.2, 5.0. Anyone of you fellow linux freaks got an
idea? Please help me.
Thanx in advance,Laika.

Help with RedHat 5.1 kernel compilation

Post by Sean Bower » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

This has happened to me also.  Here is my take on the situation: the docs that
came with RH5.1 (the gray Official one) aren't all what they appear (a cut and
paste job of the old manual and the new features).  To their credit, the
description of the rpms and their contents were a nice touch though.

The kernel listed in my /boot is 2.0.34-0.6 and in /lib/modules there is a
2.0.34-0.6 directory and a symlink to it named /lib/modules/preferred.  Forget
the symlink, it is deleted and relinked each time you boot.

I recompiled my kernel with all the fancy features I needed (make config then
make dep;make clean;make boot;make modules) and stored the zImage as
/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34-0.7.  I set my primary image in /etc/lilo.conf to
"image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34-0.7" and my backup to
"image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34-0.6".  After I did a "make modules_install" I had a
directory /lib/modules/2.0.34 which I changed to /lib/modules/2.0.34-0.7.

Ran lilo, rebooted, and I had no troubles.  I looked in the
/etc/rc.s/rc.sysinit and it seems that the kernel version number is awk'ed
and(/or?) sed'ed to determine where to find the modules and set up that symlink
I told you about.  Well, the docs didn't cover this and I found out purly by
accident while I was cussing my head off.  But hey, I figured it out!  Hope
that helps you also.

> Greetz 2 all! For 2 nights in row I'm trying to build a custom kernel for
> my
> shiny new Manhattan, but after compilation the system fails to load all
> modules apart of my BusLogic SCSI. On boot the system displays a following
> message: "Failed to find modules dependencies.
> /lib/modules/preferred/modules.dep...file doesn't exist" I'm compiling the
> kernel exactly in the same way I always done it ,using manual that came
> with
> RedHat distribution cd. It never happened before with any other RedHat
> version and I had 4.1, 4.2, 5.0. Anyone of you fellow linux freaks got an
> idea? Please help me.
> Thanx in advance,Laika.

1. RedHat 5.1, Sony CDU33A and Kernel Panic Help Please

I recently tried to install RedHat 5.1 on my old 486.  It has an old Sony
CDU33A that I think I have working.  I downloaded RH5.1 off of the ftp and
then burned a cd of it using the JOLIET file system.  It was the only way
to preserve the long names that were in the directories.

I got the program to recognize the CDROM (it spun for a while after I
entered the port number for the prop controller).  But after going for a
while, the screen stays blue and the bottom line turns black.  If I hit a
key it says:

What does this mean?  Is the CDROM loaded right?  Is the CD I burned bad
because it is JOLIET?  Or is there something more insideous?

If it is the CD I burned using JOLIET, is there anyway to make a CD from a
windows box without using JOLIET and that preserve the long file names...

Thanks in advance,
Mike S.

2. routed/gated/proxy/firewall???

3. Help with recompiling kernel on RedHat 5.1

4. Same print job to multiple printers

5. Help on - structure alignment in RedHat 5.1 kernel 2.0.35

7. @@ REDHAT LINUX Release 5.1 Have PPP Compiled Into Kernel?? @@

8. question with avoiding / fill up

9. building a kernel under redhat 5.1 ??

10. Yet another Kernel configuration question re: Redhat 5.1 . . .

11. Hellp on - structure alignment on redhat 5.1 kernel 2.0.35

12. RedHat 5.1 Kernel compile errors

13. Redhat 5.1 - ANSWERS - compile kernel, modules, /lib/modules/preferred