NIC setup Please Help

Post by John Leit » Wed, 09 May 2001 09:30:15

    I am tring to get linux up and running with two eexpress ISA cards irq 5
and 9 io 270 and 300 respectively. during RH 6.2 installation neither card
is detected i tried using netconfig two set them up. No dice on either card.
RH 5.2 installation gets one card but not the other. I tried this multiple
times and it will work with either card but only one. Then in 5.2 I try
adding it myself by modifying /etc/conf.modules and adding all the info.
Then I modified lilo.conf and ran lilo like some multi-nic web page said to.
The problem when I do ifconfig eth1 it says unknown interface. In a nutshell
my question is ho do I get ifconfig to acknoledge eth1 ??? PLEASE HELP!!

NIC setup Please Help

Post by hallam » Thu, 10 May 2001 02:37:32

I had a similar problem. Iseem to have got around this by taking out 1 nic
card setting this up, then installing the other nic. Worked straight away!!
Dave

Quote:>     I am tring to get linux up and running with two eexpress ISA cards irq
5
> and 9 io 270 and 300 respectively. during RH 6.2 installation neither card
> is detected i tried using netconfig two set them up. No dice on either
card.
> RH 5.2 installation gets one card but not the other. I tried this multiple
> times and it will work with either card but only one. Then in 5.2 I try
> adding it myself by modifying /etc/conf.modules and adding all the info.
> Then I modified lilo.conf and ran lilo like some multi-nic web page said
to.
> The problem when I do ifconfig eth1 it says unknown interface. In a
nutshell
> my question is ho do I get ifconfig to acknoledge eth1 ??? PLEASE HELP!!

NIC setup Please Help

Post by Jerry W. Segers. Jr » Thu, 17 May 2001 16:29:04

man isapnp
man isapnp.conf
man pnpdump

pnpdump to a temp file, edit it by hand, copy that to /etc/isapnp.conf.
modprobe in the desired modules.  confirm that they both work, edit
modules.conf to auto load the drivers, RELAX! don't pop a vein ;-)

> I am tring to get linux up and running with two eexpress ISA cards irq 5
> and 9 io 270 and 300 respectively. during RH 6.2 installation neither
> card is detected i tried using netconfig two set them up. No dice on
> either card. RH 5.2 installation gets one card but not the other. I
> tried this multiple times and it will work with either card but only
> one. Then in 5.2 I try adding it myself by modifying /etc/conf.modules
> and adding all the info. Then I modified lilo.conf and ran lilo like
> some multi-nic web page said to. The problem when I do ifconfig eth1 it
> says unknown interface. In a nutshell my question is ho do I get
> ifconfig to acknoledge eth1 ??? PLEASE HELP!!

1. Help with NIC Setup Please!!

Hi all, i tried sending this to the networking conference but didn't get any

i have two nic's on my machine:
D-link DE528 PCI        ne2k-pci            IRQ 3         Internal LAN

i edited my conf.modules and managed to get my 3com
card for my cable modem on eth0, and my other card on eth1.

I also am using the 3c59x module instead of having to compile a new driver,
it seems to work. However, it still won't configure using DHCP, i see the
lights flicker but it still doesn't work.

If i configure it manually and i try to ping something, i see the modem
lights flicker and nothing shows up... if i ping something within the
24.x.x.x range it shows the sending 56 bytes etc and then doesn't do
anythign after that.. (and the modem lights are flickering)

Please help, i really want to get this to work,
Alan

2. !!Whaaaaaaaaa, Problems Compiling 312 on Machine w/ Win95...help!!

3. Corel V1.0 + NIC + Ethernet Setup Help Please.

4. ANNOUNCE: treeps 0.99 Beta Release 1

5. Please Help Newbie with Realtek 8029 NIC setup

6. Fire Port 20 SCSI

7. Corel V1.0 + NIC + Ethernet, Setup Problem Help Please.

8. VNC versus X-Servers: pros and cons

9. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

10. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

12. NFS please help me please please please sniff