Help with ZIP drives and floppy drives

Post by Royston Firt » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello everybody,

I am having trouble mounting a ZIP drive what file system does it use

Also mount /floppy does not work either so who do I set that up

please help

Royston

Post by m.. » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hello everybody,

> I am having trouble mounting a ZIP drive what file system does it use

msdos, I suppose.

Quote:> Also mount /floppy does not work either so who do I set that up

use

   mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy

(see "man mount") or edit /etc/fstab suitably (see "man fstab") after which

   mount /floppy

should work.

Quote:> please help

> Royston

BTW for reading floppies and other ms-dos filesystems, the mtools package
("man mtools" or /usr/doc/mtools-...) may be handier.

Happy reading!

--

-- make config, not war.

Help with ZIP drives and floppy drives

Post by Frod » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Wow, everyone is having the problems I had last night!!!!
Here goes!

> Hello everybody,

> I am having trouble mounting a ZIP drive what file system does it use

Zip discs can be dos or Linux partitions.  You can fdisk them to make
them any kind of partion you like.I use ext2 since it is MUCH faster and
I will *never* use a micro$haft product again!  You can make them VFAT,
fat 16 or fat32 for M$ compatability but you must have kernel support
installed.  You can then mount with the mnt command or through the
FileSystem Manager tool in X.

If you are using a LPT Zip Drive, you need a program or driver (?)
called ppa  Check Red Hat's Mini How To on that.

SCSI and internal IDE need nothing.   I am using SCSI for mine and it
was ssoooo simple to set up, I was amazed!!  I assume that internal IDE
will be the same way.

Quote:> Also mount /floppy does not work either so who do I set that up

Floppies should need no special treatment.  They use thier own FS
similar to CDRoms.  What kind of error do you get?  The directory you
are mounting  to must be empty and you cannot be in that directory when
you attempt mount  eg:  to mount a floppy in /mnt/floppy  first cd to
any other directory like /  Then type:

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

and voila!!!  Your floppy should be mounted and Linux,
*hack*Windows*hack*, or any filesystem should be able to read anything
you put on it!!!

Good luck, may the bits be with you!!

Frodo

Post by j » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> I am having trouble mounting a ZIP drive what file system does it use
>msdos, I suppose.

Not always. It depends on the disk. "man mount" will detail the
formats.

Quote:>> Also mount /floppy does not work either so who do I set that up
>use
>   mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
>(see "man mount") or edit /etc/fstab suitably (see "man fstab") after which
>   mount /floppy
>should work.

And if it doesn't, do
        mkdir /floppy

Help with ZIP drives and floppy drives

Post by John Thomps » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am having trouble mounting a ZIP drive what file system does it use

Out of the box, a PC-formatted ZIP disk uses "msdos" filesystem
under linux, but you can change it easily to ext2.

Quote:>Also mount /floppy does not work either so who do I set that up

Check your /etc/fstab file for the proper entry for a floppy
disk (ie, a line like "/dev/fd0 /floppy msdos").  Make sure the
/floppy mount point actually exists.

Post by Wolfgang Trapp » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> writes:
>  .
> >I am having trouble mounting a ZIP drive what file system does it use

> > Out of the box, a PC-formatted ZIP disk uses "msdos" filesystem
> > under linux, but you can change it easily to ext2.

remember to use /dev/sdx4  (the fourth partition) for mounting on most zips.

Quote:> Also mount /floppy does not work either so who do I set that up

sometimes  the floppy support is not  compiled in the kernel. try modprob floppy ....

Wolfgang

1. HELP: IDE ZIP drive and Red hat, cannot access Zip drive

Hi Linux friends,

I have a IDE ZIPdrive and want to use it under Linux
Currently I have Redhat 4.1 installed.

During start-up it finds my IDE zip at /dev/hdc (/dev/hdb
is my IDE cdrom), however any attempt to mount a disk or to access with
mtools failed. Mtools gives me a read error, with obscure messages like
hdc: packect command error: status=0x51 error=0x50.... (sigh)

Do I have to upgrade to Redhat 5.0. I read somewhere that it might work.
Does anybody has more experience with this matter and hence could
anybody give me some valuable advice, before I run to the store and buy
redhat 5.0 or get myself a scsi ZIP drive.

Thanx guys,

Hans Kramer

2. Networkcard drivers for DE-200

3. Taper - Backup software for tape drives, floppies, files, ZIP drives...

4. Gaussian94 installation under Linux

5. TAPER 6.8.0a4 - Backup software for tape drives, floppies, ZIP drives, files

6. Setting up a server for Windows to access

7. [Help} I can't drive my Iomega Zip Drive!

8. 2.0.27 bare.i GPF's on TI extensa 510

9. Booting Linux from a floppy and Zip drive

10. Taper - Backup program for tapes, floppies, ZIP drives ...

11. Install Linux from floppies or parallel ZIP drive?

12. From Windows, with no CD or floppy, just a zip drive?

13. ZIP ATAPI FLOPPY DRIVE