How can I use vesablank to shut off my monitor from X?

How can I use vesablank to shut off my monitor from X?

Post by Rob Mahuri » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

How can I use the VESA blanking program (defined in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/vesa_blank.c) that successfully powers down
my monitor from the console from X?

Trying to use "xset +dpms" doesn't work; apparently that uses a
different protocol.  "xset dpms force standby|suspend|off" all blank my
screen, but make a rather frightening intermittent buzz somewhere in the
innards of my monitor.

Here are some other things that didn't work (from xterm /dev/ttyp0):

16:18 $ setterm -powersave powerdown
cannot (un)set powersave mode

16:20 $ setterm -powerdown 5
# no error message, but doesn't do anything

16:27 $ setterm -blank 1
# ditto

16:29 $ setvesablank ON
setvesablank: TIOCLINUX: Operation not permitted
16:30 $ setvesablank on
setvesablank: TIOCLINUX: Operation not permitted
16:30 $ setvesablank off
setvesablank: TIOCLINUX: Operation not permitted

I thought this might have something to do with the fact that ttyp*
aren't really consoles, so I edited
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/vesa_blank.c to make powering down the
default behavior; no luck.  What I'm going for in the end is to get
everything to get my monitor to go to sleep after I've ignored xdm's
login screen for more than a few minutes.  Can anybody help me out?

Thanks a lot,

Rob

16:32 $ uname -a
Linux rhct093 2.0.34 #1 Sun Jan 10 11:32:52 CST 1999 i586 unknown
Running Debian 2.0
XFree86[tm] 3.3.2
window manager Fvwm Version 2.0.46 (should that matter?)

How can I use vesablank to shut off my monitor from X?

Oh yeah -- my monitor is a Sony CPD-100VS

Post by Michael Meissne » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> How can I use the VESA blanking program (defined in
> /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/vesa_blank.c) that successfully powers down
> my monitor from the console from X?

> Trying to use "xset +dpms" doesn't work; apparently that uses a
> different protocol.  "xset dpms force standby|suspend|off" all blank my
> screen, but make a rather frightening intermittent buzz somewhere in the
> innards of my monitor.

Many, but not all of the Xservers support the option power_saver in the device
section.  You would need to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config file.  For example,
my device section looks like:

        Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Matrox Millenium-II"
            VendorName  "Matrox"
            BoardName   "Millenium-II"
        #   option      "mga_24bpp_fix"
            option      "power_saver"
            #option     "no_bitblt"
            VideoRam    8192
            # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
        EndSection

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

Post by Rob Mahuri » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> How can I use the VESA blanking program (defined in
> /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/vesa_blank.c) that successfully powers down
> my monitor from the console from X?

> Trying to use "xset +dpms" doesn't work; apparently that uses a
> different protocol.  "xset dpms force standby|suspend|off" all blank my
> screen, but make a rather frightening intermittent buzz somewhere in the
> innards of my monitor.

OK, I've figured this part out.  Turns out that if I run an

xset s blank s <timeout>

the frightening intermittent buzzing sound only occurs while the screen
is dpms'ed off but has not yet been blanked.  That's not entirely
clearly said; but my dabbling is pasted to the bottom of this post.

Basically, what I figured out is that I have to have the screen be
blanked or the DPMS controls fail.  I haven't with a screensaver
running, because I don't have one set up now and have been boring myself
with this for almost half an hour, but I'm curious.  Is this a bug in
xset?  a feature? a quirk in my hardware?  does anybody care?  now that
I've figured out what I have to do get the behavior that I want without
the scary noises (xset s blank s 600 dpms 600 0 1200), should I drop the
issue or try to get the X people to include this in the documentation
(e.g., "on some hardware these features emit a frightening buzzing sound
unless the screen is already blanked out")?

I would appreciate any responses.

Rob

Linux rhct093 2.0.34 #1 Sun Jan 10 11:32:52 CST 1999 i586 unknown
Running Debian 2.0 (hamm)
XFree86[tm] 3.3.2
window manager Fvwm Version 2.0.46 (should that matter?)
Sony CPD-100VS monitor

22:20 $ xset s 0 ; xset dpms 10 0 0; sleep 20; xset -dpms ; xset s
activate ; play snore.wav
22:21 $ # buzz.  blank but no power change.  no unblank.
22:21 $ xset s 0 ; xset dpms 0 10 0; sleep 20; xset -dpms ; xset s
activate ; play snore.wav
22:22 $ # no buzz.  suspended correctly.  did not unblank
22:23 $ xset s 0 ; xset dpms 0 0 10; sleep 20; xset -dpms ; xset s
activate ; play snore.wav
22:23 $ # buzz.  blank but no power change.  no unblank.

22:24 $ xset s 3 ; xset dpms 10 0 0; sleep 20; xset -dpms ; xset s
activate ; play snore.wav
22:25 $ # no buzz.  blanked then powered down.  unblanked.
22:25 $ xset s 3 ; xset dpms 0 10 0; sleep 20; xset -dpms ; xset s
activate ; play snore.wav
22:25 $ # no buzz.  blanked then powered down.  unblanked.
22:25 $ xset s 3 ; xset dpms 0 0 10; sleep 20; xset -dpms ; xset s
activate ; play snore.wav
22:26 $ xset s 3 ; xset dpms 0 0 10; sleep 20; xset -dpms ; xset s
activate ; play snore.wav
22:26 $ # no buzz before powerdown.  unblanked.  did not play sound
22:27 $ play snore.wav
22:27 $ # that worked.  my speakers are physically on my monitor, must
have been off still

22:27 $ xset s 15 ; xset dpms 10 0 0; sleep 20; xset -dpms ; xset s
activate ; play snore.wav
22:28 $ # buzz until powerdown.  unblanked.
22:29 $ xset s 15 ; xset dpms 0 10 0; sleep 20; xset -dpms ; xset s
activate ; play snore.wav
22:30 $ # no buzz ; powered down ; unblanked
22:30 $ xset s 15 ; xset dpms 0 0 10; sleep 20; xset -dpms ; xset s
activate ; play snore.wav
22:30 $ # buzz until powerdown.  unblanked.  did not play snound
22:31 $ play snore.wav
22:31 $ # that worked.

22:31 $ xset s 150 ; xset dpms 10 0 0; sleep 20; xset -dpms ; xset s
activate ; play snore.wav
22:31 $ # buzz, no powerdown, no unblank
22:32 $ xset s 150 ; xset dpms 0 10 0; sleep 20; xset -dpms ; xset s
activate ; play snore.wav
22:32 $ # buzz, powerdown, powerup at snore but screen stayed blank
22:32 $ xset s 150 ; xset dpms 0 0 10; sleep 20; xset -dpms ; xset s
activate ; play snore.wav
22:33 $ # buzz, no powerdown, heard snore but screen stayed blank

22:41 $ xset s 10 dpms 10 0 0 ; sleep 20 ; xset s activate -dpms ; play
snore.wav
22:43 $ # powerdown & unblank correctly
22:43 $ xset s 10 dpms 0 10 0 ; sleep 20 ; xset s activate -dpms ; play
snore.wav
22:43 $ # powerdown & unblank correctly
22:44 $ xset s 10 dpms 0 0 10 ; sleep 20 ; xset s activate -dpms ; play
snore.wav
22:44 $ # powerdown & unblank correctly, but no sound
22:44 $ play snore.wav
22:44 $ # all good

Post by Rob Mahuri » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > Trying to use "xset +dpms" doesn't work; apparently that uses a
> > different protocol.  "xset dpms force standby|suspend|off" all blank my
> > screen, but make a rather frightening intermittent buzz somewhere in the
> > innards of my monitor.

> Many, but not all of the Xservers support the option power_saver in the device
> section.  You would need to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config file.  For example,
> my device section looks like:

>         Section "Device"
>             <stuff>
>             option      "power_saver"
>         EndSection

I don't think that that was my problem, for a couple of reasons.

First, I got the screen to power down (it had to be blanked before the
dpms requests would take hold; see my other reply to myself in this
thread), and when I checked my XF86Config, it had no power_saver option
in it.  I added it and started another xserver, and

02:27 $ xset dpms 10 15 20 s blank s 5
02:28 $ xset dpms 10 15 20 s blank s 25

both did exactly the same thing as before:  the first one blanked, then
powered each cycle down correctly, while the second went through three
levels of buzzing and then powered down.  From the docs that I read, it
sounded like the power_save option is more for letting the blank itself
be a powerdown state

Second (and I just found this by accident tonight):

02:44 $   X --help
Unrecognized option: --help
use: X [:<display>] [option]
<half a screen of options>
dpms                   enables VESA DPMS monitor control
-dpms                  disables VESA DPMS monitor control
<three screens of options>

That option doesn't pass through startx and if I start X * (X
[-]dpms :1 & xterm -display :1) then it seems to have the same effect as
having started X and xset [-]dpms.  It does, however, seem to imply that
I was wrong about dpms being a different protocol from VESA.  I'll
repeat here my question from my other post:  why doesn't dpms blank the
screen?  Is that a problem that's specific to my hardware?  A bug?  A
feature?  Does anybody know?  Now that I've fixed my original problem,
does it still even matter (as I seem to be the only person on the planet
to have run through this sequence of difficulties) ?

Thanks

Rob

--
Sigmund Freud is alleged to have said that in the last analysis the
entire field

1. How to shut-off on a shut-down?

Hi,

I'm sure it is possible, I've done it before but I've lost my notes on
the subject: I just installed Suse 6.1 (yes six-dot-one, the old one) on
a labtob (laptop?) and I cannot find how or where to power down the
machine automatically on a shutdown. I know it is something in the
init.d or rc.d directories but I cannot find what or where to configure.

How can I (automatically) power-down my machine on a shutdown?

I don't think it is part of the issue but if it is, my machine is a
Toshiba Satalite Pro 440.

Thanks

CB

--
Everything should be as simple as possible but not simpler - A. Einstein
Corne' Beerse                                   | Alcatel Telecom Nederland

2. KDE Shutdown option

3. Monitors not shutting off

4. Bourne Shell Port Available

5. IBM P76 Monitor shuts itself off...

6. !!! PROXY vs. ROUTER !!!

7. Slackware GhostScript shuts off the monitor ??

8. arp fails in 1.3.19-20 for some ip addresses

9. Help Needed: Flash Prom Update Shuts Off Monitor

10. linux screensaver can shut off monitor

11. Shut down of X windows causes monitor to turn Off??

12. Shut Off Monitor Automatically After 15 Minutes

13. My Monitor Shuts Off!