Q:Samba spawns processes and hangs thereafter....!?

Q:Samba spawns processes and hangs thereafter....!?

Post by Christian Sche » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi out there,

we have a linux cluster running nicely at our site and want to
"include" one or two Win95 boxes. We installed samba and have the
following problem: a samba demon is running and spawns a child when there
is a request from a Win box. Then things hang until the child is killed.
Anyone an idea what this could be???

Thanx in advance

Christian Scheer

Inst. f. Phonetik
Munich University

1. multiple amd process spawned and hang the RedHat Box

hi, I was wondering what caused the amd process spawned more than one
process, when it does, from the ps we'll see there's more than
/usr/sbin/amd -F /etc/amd.conf process and all the /net won't be able
to be accessed, the uptime show high load and eventually the Linux Box
will die.

back in kernel 2.2.4, I can shut down the amd process and then kill
the extra amd process and restart the amd daemon, and it will start
working again, load will go down and /net can be accessed. I upgraded
the kernel to 2.4-18 with nfs3 client support. when this multiple
process happened, i can't kill anymore and has to do a hard reboot.
soft reboot won't work as it will hang there forever to umount /net

Just wondering if you guys have seen this before..this is really
killing me :(

Thank you.

- Atlas Yeo

2. Exported patches from 2.5 and 2.4 BitKeeper trees have moved.

3. Window Managers (part2) - Newbie Needs big help

4. how to kill a spawned process when it hangs

5. Thirstin' for some Java

6. multiple amd process spawned and hang the RedHat Box

7. anybody working with a USB Tascam US428 Digital Audio WS

8. spawned processes and process interdependencies

9. Qs on attack by high rate process creation

10. Samba server hang makes client hang too

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. Apache can't spawn child process