Can't install 3Com Etherlink III 3C589C PCMCIA Ethernet card on Red Hat 7.2

Can't install 3Com Etherlink III 3C589C PCMCIA Ethernet card on Red Hat 7.2

Post by Bill Tod » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 09:59:07



I have installed Red Hat 7.2 on a Fosa AP6200 notebook computer I intend to
use as a
test server. The installation was done using a PCMCIA boot diskette and the
PCMCIA drivers diskette. The 3COM Etherlink III 3C589C PCMCIA card was
plugged in during the Red Hat installation.

When I run the Red Hat Network Administration Tool and select the 3COM
Etherlink III adaptor I get an error dialog with the message "Ethernet card
could not be initialized. Verify your settings and try again.".

One problem may be that I have no idea what to enter for all of the settings
in the Resources section of the Network Adaptors Configuration dialog.

Can someone point me to some documentation or tell me what I
am doing wrong? WARNING: I am a Linux novice so I need the answer for
dummies<g>.

Thanks,

--
Bill

 
 
 

Can't install 3Com Etherlink III 3C589C PCMCIA Ethernet card on Red Hat 7.2

Post by Thomas Papendiec » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:54:05


Bill Todd schrieb:
Quote:> [...]
> When I run the Red Hat Network Administration Tool and select the 3COM
> Etherlink III adaptor I get an error dialog with the message "Ethernet card
> could not be initialized. Verify your settings and try again.".

This weay RH tries to find a PCI-Card. I don't remembr if choosing just
"PCMCIA" was possible in RH network configuratiom tool.

The cardmanager should load the apptropriate module as soon as it
recognizes it.

If the RH-tools don't work get the pcmcia-cs package from
source-forge.org

Quote:

>[...] Can someone point me to some documentation

there is a online help availabe in RH conf.-tool.

Quote:> [...]
> Thanks,

> --
> Bill

--

MfG
Thomas Papendieck

eMail is as private as a post card - Please encrypt your answer!
PGP key available at: pgp.ai.mit.edu - port: 11371
ID: 0x273C213E
finger print: 4CB3 2D02 802A 3DA6 0499  0768 4CB1 D301 273C 213E

 
 
 

Can't install 3Com Etherlink III 3C589C PCMCIA Ethernet card on Red Hat 7.2

Post by Chris Wilso » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 20:13:07


I get the same message with my ISA 3c509 card!!  I don't even get the network
config section during the installation process; it's as if RH7.2 cannot even see
that the card is plugged in. (I've already turned pnp off and set the irq to 7
and the io to 0x210 - resources that are available on the system).

I've tried all sorts to manually configure using the text-based tools, like
using modprobe, but to no avail.  I just managed to get X working (since XFree86
4.1 doesn't seem to like my Diamond Stealth Video 2500 and I had to revert back
to using the 3.3.6 SVGA server!) ----- Jeez, I though Linux was supposed to be
getting easier to use!!

Anyway, anyone have any ideas?

Chris.


> I have installed Red Hat 7.2 on a Fosa AP6200 notebook computer I intend to
> use as a
> test server. The installation was done using a PCMCIA boot diskette and the
> PCMCIA drivers diskette. The 3COM Etherlink III 3C589C PCMCIA card was
> plugged in during the Red Hat installation.

> When I run the Red Hat Network Administration Tool and select the 3COM
> Etherlink III adaptor I get an error dialog with the message "Ethernet card
> could not be initialized. Verify your settings and try again.".

> One problem may be that I have no idea what to enter for all of the settings
> in the Resources section of the Network Adaptors Configuration dialog.

> Can someone point me to some documentation or tell me what I
> am doing wrong? WARNING: I am a Linux novice so I need the answer for
> dummies<g>.

> Thanks,

> --
> Bill

 
 
 

Can't install 3Com Etherlink III 3C589C PCMCIA Ethernet card on Red Hat 7.2

Post by Frank Mabre » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 17:55:48


You may need to go to your CMOS and tell it you have a non-PnP card using
IRQ 7.

Frank


>I get the same message with my ISA 3c509 card!!  I don't even get the
network
>config section during the installation process; it's as if RH7.2 cannot
even see
>that the card is plugged in. (I've already turned pnp off and set the irq
to 7
>and the io to 0x210 - resources that are available on the system).

-snip-
 
 
 

Can't install 3Com Etherlink III 3C589C PCMCIA Ethernet card on Red Hat 7.2

Post by <bi.. » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 22:56:25



Quote:> I get the same message with my ISA 3c509 card!!  I don't even get the
network
> config section during the installation process; it's as if RH7.2 cannot
even see
> that the card is plugged in. (I've already turned pnp off and set the irq
to 7
> and the io to 0x210 - resources that are available on the system).
> I've tried all sorts to manually configure using the text-based tools,
like
> using modprobe, but to no avail.  I just managed to get X working (since
XFree86
> 4.1 doesn't seem to like my Diamond Stealth Video 2500 and I had to revert
back
> to using the 3.3.6 SVGA server!) ----- Jeez, I though Linux was supposed
to be
> getting easier to use!!

My experience with the 3c509 (specificaly, as well
as a few others) is that you have to run the dos based
setup software on the card itself to troubleshoot and
set it up. And the software for these cards doesn't
always work as one thinks it should (well at least as
I thought it should.)

So even after one thinks they actually have the card
set to a particular address and IRQ it might not
"have taken." Reboot and verify has become my
personal standard for all setup operations.

best of luck

 
 
 

1. 3Com ISA Etherlink III model-3c509b-c doesn't work on Red Hat 7.2

I tried everything I know for the time being, but unfortunately. I wrote down

in /etc/MODULES.CONF  alias eth0 3c509
                 options io=0x210 irq=7 (Win2000 works with it)  

in /etc/RESOLV.CONF   search  "name of server"

                      nameserver  "IP_address"

My card doesn't see the NET.

 What should I do else?            

Many thanks in advance

ARTEM

2. mailserver and DNS configuration

3. LD_LIBRARY_PATH & perl build

4. slow network troughput

5. 3Com 3c589C Etherlink III PCMCIA problems

6. "xosview" like utility for FreeBSD ?

7. pcmcia 3com lan card on Red Hat Linux 7.2

8. 3COM PCMCIA Ethernet Card (Etherlink III 3C589/B) OSR5

9. Red Hat 2.1, 3Com Etherlink III stops responding after 30minuts ?

10. 3C589C-COMBO Etherlink III PCMCIA support for FreeBSD ?

11. 3COM Etherlink III 10BaseT PCMCIA Card Model 3C589D installation in Mandrake 7.0 helps need