How to display long dosnames ?

Post by Sami Lou » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I've been fighting with those Win95-longnames and linux.
I first met a problem, when i download netscape3.0 for linux using
win95 and the filename was stored on my harddisk using that ISO9660 (?)
format. The name of file i download was about 40 characters long, but
linux displays only 8+3 when in msdos filesystem.
How can i mount my msdos partitions under linux to be able to show long
filenames ?

--

Post by Hugh McCur » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>I've been fighting with those Win95-longnames and linux.
>I first met a problem, when i download netscape3.0 for linux using
>win95 and the filename was stored on my harddisk using that ISO9660 (?)
>format. The name of file i download was about 40 characters long, but
>linux displays only 8+3 when in msdos filesystem.
>How can i mount my msdos partitions under linux to be able to show long
>filenames ?
>--

In the old days, I changed the name of the file before I downloaded
it.  In Linux 2.0.0 or greater, you can choose VFAT instead of MSDOS
file system support.  You might already have VFAT available as a
module.  If not, you can recompile the kernel.

When you mount the hard disk partition, use type VFAT instead of MSDOS
(the -t option in mount... # man 8 mount)

If you are mounting the DOS partition automatically, then edit your
/etc/fstab file.  Change the occurrences of msdos to vfat.

Hugh McCurdy

Post by Jizhong Wan » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I've been fighting with those Win95-longnames and linux.
> I first met a problem, when i download netscape3.0 for linux using
> win95 and the filename was stored on my harddisk using that ISO9660 (?)
> format. The name of file i download was about 40 characters long, but
> linux displays only 8+3 when in msdos filesystem.
> How can i mount my msdos partitions under linux to be able to show long
> filenames ?

> --

What version of kernel are your running? if you are using 2.0.* (if not,
maybe you should), you can mount your msdos partition as vfat type (file
system used in Windows95). And then you can used long filenames from
linux and windows95. I am using it.

Jizhong Wang, Ph.D.                     St. Boniface Hosptial
                                        Winnipeg, Canada

1. long long & long double types in Linux GCC

There are two non-standard types defined in Linux GCC: long long (8 bytes)
and "long double" (12 bytes, but I think it uses 10 bytes floating point
type supported by 80x87 coprocessor). Both seem to work internally OK,
but is there a way to "printf" such values. Man page for "printf" does mention a
format modifier "L" for long double values, but it is not working. Nothing
about "long long" can be found in manpage.

Any experience with these types?

regards, Michal.

  Al. Ujazdowskie 4                   Voice:    48-22-294011 ext 23
  00-478 Warszawa, POLAND             FAX:      48-22-294967

2. P90 PCI board with SiS chipset?

3. RH7.2 2.4.X off_t: long or long long?

4. compiler error: func in class defined in Template

5. Linux has a long, long, long way to go

6. Ports is Ports ?

7. Long displays are getting garbled!

8. snc and win 98 need HELP !!!!

9. How can linux display the long filename in DOS and CDROM?

10. No icons displaying....long

11. Display long double

12. Debugger - display of long arrays?

13. long question: tnt2 display probs w/red hat 6.0 (hedwig - i386)