How to setup web on Linux

Post by Ari Yochanan Shapi » Sun, 23 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to setup a web site on
>my Linux server. I have had a fully functioning server for some time.
>I have an HTML file in one of my subdirectories that I am trying to
>access and yet I'm not getting to it.

>Any and all help would be appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Eric

How are you trying to access it?  Is the server running on your Linux box?
What server software are you using (I use cern httpd)?

How to setup web on Linux

Post by r.. » Wed, 26 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to setup a web site on
: my Linux server. I have had a fully functioning server for some time.
: I have an HTML file in one of my subdirectories that I am trying to
: access and yet I'm not getting to it.
: Any and all help would be appreciated.
: Thanks,
: Eric

        You may get http-1.3 on any linux slackware sites.
        at directory /pub/linux/system/info-system.
        untar it and edit the logs information to
        meet your system.

Signed by Wong Pui Shing at Hong Hong University of Science
and Technology.

Home Pages: http://dmf022.ust.hk/
            http://susis.ust.hk/~nakayama

How to setup web on Linux

Post by Robert Ha » Sat, 29 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: : I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to setup a web site on
: : my Linux server. I have had a fully functioning server for some time.
: : I have an HTML file in one of my subdirectories that I am trying to
: : access and yet I'm not getting to it.
: : Any and all help would be appreciated.
: : Thanks,
: : Eric

:       You may get http-1.3 on any linux slackware sites.
:       at directory /pub/linux/system/info-system.
:       untar it and edit the logs information to
:       meet your system.

I would strongly recommend that you also buy the O'Reilly "Managing
Internet Information Services" book (ISBN 1-56592-062-7).

This covers in understandable detail how to set up and tweak httpd1.3 -
an also a bit on HTML authoring (but not much).

On this subject, has anyone seen a good book on HTML???

--

Voice: +61 (0)91 72 0429                     Fax:   +61 (0)91 72 3560
Hedland College, PMB 1, South Hedland WA 6722 Australia

How to setup web on Linux

Post by Kevin Mart » Sun, 30 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> On this subject, has anyone seen a good book on HTML???

Just out from Wiley & Sons, "The HTML Sourcebook" by Ian S. Graham.
Less than perfect but certainly "good."  (Does not have any
specifics on making pages "Netscape enhanced," drat it, despite the
1995 copyright.)

Linux is mentioned only in the glossary, but accurately described and
further noted as a "practical way of developing inexpensive and reliable
HTTP service."

ISBN 0-471-11849-4  pub 1995 John Wiley & Sons 416pp, indexed. $29.95
--

     Brass Cannon Consulting - Box 427 - Midland Park, NJ 07432

How to setup web on Linux

Post by Karin Isbe » Sun, 30 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>On this subject, has anyone seen a good book on HTML???

The HTML Sourcebook:  A complete Guide to HTML
by Ian S. Graham  1995 John  Wiley & Sons
ISBN:  0 - 471 - 11849 - 4   $29.95  416 pages

This is the BEST book I have found on the sub.  It covers everything
including servers, graphics, cgi, tools and everything about HTML from
homepage to server.

Another good one:

Spininning the Web:  How to Provide Information on the Internet
by Andrew Ford  1995 International Thomson Publishing
ISBN:  0 - 442 - 01996 - 3  (I paid $29.95)  227 pages

They have a Web page but I don't have the URL for it handy.  I noticed
they offered the book for sale there and I think the price was better
then I paid at Borders.

This book really gets into setting up and maintaing a Web server,
overviews and security issues and how to select a server etc.  It does
have how to info on page design and a handy reference page of all the
tags (2.0)