Odd error message when attempting to mount CDRW or zips

Odd error message when attempting to mount CDRW or zips

Post by Ken Yasu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

        When I mount my CDRW (YAMAHA CDRW 4116S) or my internal zip
drive (IOMEGA), I get some odd error messages.  I followed what was
suggested in the Zip and cdrom How-Tos.  Now that I'm getting these
error messages I'm a bit puzzled and I'm not clear on what they
signify.  I'm pretty sure the hardware is properly installed, as it
worked when I ran (*ahem*) Windoze.  I suspect a configuration
problem.  Can anybody steer me here on the basis of my error messages?

        The relevant portion of my /etc/fstab file is:
/dev/scd0       /cdrom2                 iso9660    ro,noauto,user 0 0
/dev/sdb1       /zip                    ext2       rw,user,noauto,exec
/dev/sdb4      /dzip                    msdos
rw,user,noauto,exec,umask=100

The error messages generated all follow the same theme:

When I  mount /cdrom2, I get:
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0 as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

When I mount /zip, I get:
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/sdb1 as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

When I mount /dzip, I get:
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda4 as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

I'm sure the error messages are fairly common. Anybody have any
suggestions?

Thanks!

Ken

Odd error message when attempting to mount CDRW or zips

Post by J. Horne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Before you mount something like these, you must insmod the
driver:

insmod ppa (for zip)
mount /dev/sda4 /zip

For instance.

--
J. J. Horner

System has been up
  6:05pm  up 20 days,  6:32,  1 user,  load average: 1.83, 1.24,
1.07

1. Odd error message on mounting of CDRW and Zip drives

[...]

2. Recomend NewsReader

3. error message when mounting ide Zip drive

4. printer

5. Iomega Zip -- odd mounting behavior...

6. Bridging

7. HELP: SCSI "medium error" after Zip install attempt

8. NFS over parallel cable -- how fast?

9. Odd message from e2fsck prevents mounting...?

10. "no screens found" error message when attempting to start X under Mandrake 7.0

11. Error message from modem when attempting to connect to ISP

12. Error messages attempting to install new drive - SS20 Sol8

13. yamaha cdrw ERROR MESSAGES! help