1. Hang during boot... please help?
I'm trying to install Linux on a 486DX2/66 with 16MB RAM, IDE hard disk with
more than 1024 cylinders, PCI+VLB+ISA mainboard (I know this is strongly not
recomended, but the shop said they would replace it for a VLB+ISA if it fails
to work with Linux), Soundblaster with on board Adaptec 152x, #9 GXE64 with
4MB VRAM (PCI), NE2000 ethernet card, SCSI CD-ROM drive (Matsushita) and an HP
I have used the October Infomagic CD-ROM which contains Slackware 2.0.1 with
kernel 1.1.50. The boot disk contains kernel 1.0.9 and I use "hd=1048,16,63
aha152x=0x340,11,7,1" as the kernel command line. The whole thing boots fine,
I partition the drive with fdisk (keeping under cylinder 1024 for the root
partition just to make sure) and install a minimum config with setup. I add
the append="..." and linear statements to the lilo.conf and install it on the
MBR (I also tried a floppy).
When I boot off the hard disk, the kernel is loaded fine, it finds the serial
ports (I have 4), lp_init does it's stuff and it arrives at the "Calibrating
delay loop... ok - 33.22 BogoMips" (it seems to me this should be 66.xx !?! )
and then it hangs!!
I then borrowed the December Infomagic CD-ROM which contains Slackware 2.1.0
with kernel 1.1.54. The boot disk also contains kernel 1.1.54 and guess
what... it hangs after the "Calibrating delay loop... ok - 33.22 BogoMips"! So
this time I can't even try installing anything. At least it seems that it
wasn't something I was doing wrong in the installtion process.
Why doesn't it work with the newer kernels ? Is it the PCI based mainboard
which is causing the problem ?
Please help me... thanks in advance.
Yves PERRENOUD FIDONET : 2:301/315.50 (pyves)
2. 2.5.73-bk5 -- drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x5e3f6): In function `hidinput_hid_event': : undefined reference to `input_event'
3. SCO Unix hang during boot after kernel rebuild - help!
4. Denial of Access of mailbox in unix
5. Help: console output hang during boot
6. Help with XFree 3.2 configuration
7. Boot hang during install... help...
8. mount-fstab-mtab-ps problems with pl11 (second plea!)
9. Slackware 3.3: need help with hang during boot
10. linux hangs during boot
11. Linux hangs during boot
12. Linux RH 7.2 compiling new stock 184.108.40.206, hangs on USB during boot
13. pfat linux hangs during boot