could not open default font 'fixed'

Post by Jeff Pete » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:37:51

I installed Mandrake 7.2 and have a RIVA TNT2 chipset.  However, when X
attempts to start I get the following error message...

Could not init font path element UNIX/:-1, removing from list
Could not open default font 'fixed'

I then get booted out of X.

Any thoughts?  I thought it might be the display driver or the monitor
settings however I have those set, and have even tried generic equivalents.

Post by Craig Kelle » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 01:54:08

> I installed Mandrake 7.2 and have a RIVA TNT2 chipset.  However, when X
> attempts to start I get the following error message...

> Could not init font path element UNIX/:-1, removing from list
> Could not open default font 'fixed'

> I then get booted out of X.

> Any thoughts?  I thought it might be the display driver or the monitor
> settings however I have those set, and have even tried generic equivalents.

The 'xfs' server needs to be running prior to running X.  You either
didn't installit, or the installer has a bug, or it isn't starting for
some reason.  Try running `/etc/init.d/xfs start` to see if it comes
up properly.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard

could not open default font 'fixed'

Post by Steven Conwa » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 07:06:39

I have had this error happen to me .. the /tmp directory had improper
permissions on so check that.

Steven Conway

Quote:>I installed Mandrake 7.2 and have a RIVA TNT2 chipset.  However, when X

Post by John Thompso » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:23:11

> I installed Mandrake 7.2 and have a RIVA TNT2 chipset.  However, when X
> attempts to start I get the following error message...

> Could not init font path element UNIX/:-1, removing from list
> Could not open default font 'fixed'

> I then get booted out of X.

> Any thoughts?  I thought it might be the display driver or the monitor
> settings however I have those set, and have even tried generic equivalents.

This is a problem with the font server (usually xfs).  The quick
fix is to disable the font server and explicitly list your font
paths in XF86Config until you can figure out why the font server
isn't working.

--

1. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

Edit /etc/XF86Config and remove that line or comment it and try again.
If you are using the XFree86 which loads by default it cannot handle
True Type fonts; a separate fontserver must be started.

And quit posting FreeBSD questions to Linux newsgroups.

2. Xroach and other Freeware

3. NEC Versa color & XFree860

4. could not open default font 'fixed' ??

5. Diamond Viper V770 driver needed

6. Fatal Server Error: could not open default font 'fixed'

7. Motif license for Linux

8. Xfree86: could not open default font 'fixed'

9. could not open default font 'fixed'

10. HELP: Could not open default font 'fixed'