Post by Howard Hon » Sat, 12 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I recently purchased the Linux Slackware CD-ROM from Walnet Creek and look
forward to trying it, but before that I wanted to make sure I understood
what to do.

It says in the brief description that this version can be loaded in a DOS
partition with DOS coresident. At least that's what I gathered from the
description.  Is this true? What are the advantages/disadvantages?  Can
anyone point me to a FAQ sheet or instructions anywhere that can further
enlighten me?

TiA

Howard
--
    Howard Honig
    Hewlett-Packard Company

    Phone:  (503) 750-2555 direct
    FAX:    (503) 752-7811

Post by John S. Atchiso » Sat, 12 Aug 1995 04:00:00

It is called umsdos.  I have never used it, but I have heard the it runs o.k.
Its advantage is that you don't have to epartition.  Its disadvantage is that
you don't get the performance that you otherwise might.  I'm not sure where to
find the faq.  You might try on one of the slakware sites.

ftp.sunsite.unc.edu

/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware

--
   __________________        _____
  /_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/       /_/_\_\

 _/     _/               /_/-------\_\
 _/    _/               /_/         \_\     'To die would be a great
adventure!'
  _/_/_/      o        /_/           \_\ o  -Peter Pan

Post by Yggdrasil Sysadm » Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: I recently purchased the Linux Slackware CD-ROM from Walnet Creek and look
: forward to trying it, but before that I wanted to make sure I understood
: what to do.

: It says in the brief description that this version can be loaded in a DOS
: partition with DOS coresident. At least that's what I gathered from the
: description.  Is this true? What are the advantages/disadvantages?  Can
: anyone point me to a FAQ sheet or instructions anywhere that can further
: enlighten me?

Yes, it is true. Using UMSDOS, Linux can inhabit a single subdirectory
tree on your MSDOS-formatted hard drive (for instance, C:\LINUX or
something.) The advantage of this method is that you will not have to
repartition your hard disk to install Linux, as this is a painful
procedure that often necessitates copying your data off your hard drive
and back onto it afterward. The disadvantage of this method is that disk
access under Linux will be slower. Also, there is some paranoia about
defragging a DOS partition with Linux installed onto it, although I'm not
sure whether this is justified or simply a net.rumor.
If repartitioning your disk is going to be a problem (if, for instance,
you don't have a tape drive), I would recommend making a small initial
installation of Linux under UMSDOS to see how you like it. If you like
the results, repartition the disk and reinstall Linux on its own partition.

For further information, see the Linux Documentation Project web page at
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/linux.html.

: TiA

: Howard
: --
:     Howard Honig
:     Hewlett-Packard Company

:     Phone:  (503) 750-2555 direct
:     FAX:    (503) 752-7811

1. Problem: Slackware 3.2, booting, loading, uncompressing, crc error, System Halted

Hello,

I recently bought the Slackware 3.2 distribution. When making
a boot floppy (either using rawrite, or the view utility) (on
either a wfw or win95 machine) and boot with this floppy I
always got the messages, LILO loading ramdisk, uncompressing
Linux, and than crc error, system halted.
There are no problems with the floppy drives (double checked
that) and no virus guards running that protect boot sectors.

Please email any hints,
Thanks, Johan

2. IRIS-to-CRAY rsh

3. Segmentation Fault error when loading MICRONICS system with Slackware LINUX 4.0

4. Finding GRAPHiCS libraries for X11/MOTIF

6. Problem following symlinks

7. System Load average: How much load average is good for?

8. GOPHER on linux

9. copying files from unix to dos system in dos readable format

10. Help loading btld after system recovery on new system

11. Installing 'X' from SlackWare 2.2.0 in a SlackWare 3.0 system?

12. System call for querying system load?

13. Can msdos file system handle double space DOS file system ?