BASH bootup sequence????

Post by John Riganati, jr » Thu, 01 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me the sequence of files that are read during an initial
bootup into a bash shell.  Here's how I think it works;

1) Kernel loads
2) /etc/inittab is read to find default level and files to read
3) /etc/rc.d files are read.  This gets you to the login prompt
4) /etc/profile is read
5) .bash_profile in the home directory is read

Are there files I'm missing?

Here is why I ask.  I can't figure out where my PATH and aliases are
being set. And it doesn't seem like my .bash_profile is being read.  And
when I 'su -' to another user, my path gets reset even if that user
doesn't have a .bash_profile in the home directory.

I am running Slackware3.0 with kernel 1.2.13.

Thanks for the help,

John

Is there a proper fixed bash on any of the FTP sites out there?

I know there bash is on the usual sites but I don't know if they are
bugged or not :(

Regards,

Neil.

--

------------------------------------| Edinburgh, EH14 2DE, United Kingdom
**Domino: There`s nothing you can do when you`re the next in line: Domino**

2. Mosaic for linux or libXm

3. Linux Bootup Sequence and required files

4. How to test Motherboard Unable to Cache > 16 MB RAM ?

5. BOOTUP SEQUENCE

6. Compiling MySQL on OpenBSD

7. Bootup sequence?

8. Finding serial numbers

9. Getting error "Can't find driver for console framebutter" at the bootup sequence

10. Solaris bootup sequence...

11. bash escape sequences

12. echo escape sequences in bash shell