"Unable to open a initial console" message

"Unable to open a initial console" message

Post by Roderick W. Smi » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I recently installed RedHat 4.0 and have recompiled the kernel using
the 2.0.18 sources included on the CD.  Unfortunately, when I try to
boot the new kernel (using LOADLIN from DOS for the moment), the boot
procedure seems to run fine for a while (it gets through mounting my
SCSI devices, for instance), and then spits out the following error
message:

error on boot: unable to open a initial console

Unfortunately, I've no idea what might be causing this.  I went
through make config again just to be sure I hadn't removed support for
something obvious, but nothing jumped out at me.  Any ideas on this
one?  Thanks.

(Oh, if possible, please e-mail as well as or instead of posting; I
expect to be away for a couple of days and so may miss a post.
Thanks.)

| Rod Smith                                 Author of:               |

| http://ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu/~rodsmith   "OS/2 Soundcard Summary" |

1. Error message "unable to open an initial console"

Hi,

I compiled kernel version 2.0.21 on a system that was happily running 2.0.12
before, and now it won't boot, giving the above message instead of starting
init. The system will run the old kernel just fine. I found no Documentation
about this and no kernel configuration option.

What gives?

(If it matters: The system has an AMD 5k86-P90 CPU.)

(Is this a scheme by someone who sells terminals? :))

- Daniel
--
Forward In All Directions!
http://cyclone.snafu.de/

2. Restricted shells in HP-UX 10.20 (rksh)

3. Serial console and "unable to open an initial console"

4. NFS-Problem with Linux 2.2.7 and AIX

5. How to correct "Unable to open an initial console"?

6. WebSite Hosting Only $10/Mo. US Dolloars

7. Kernel 2.5.62 "unable to open initial console"

8. Can't find libglib-1.1.so.13 & libgmodule-1.1.so.13

9. NFS root : get "Unable to open initial console"

10. "Unable to open an initial console" on boot

11. Boot problems -- Suddenly "unable to open initial console"

12. "Unable to open initial console" due to full disk?

13. "Unable to open initial console"