copy OS2, or win95 partitions using linux DD command?

copy OS2, or win95 partitions using linux DD command?

Post by Paul Ellio » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have an OS2 partition I want to copy to an identical (type, size) OS2
partition on another disk. After I create the partition with OS2
fdisk on the other disk, is there any reason why I can not do
a byte for byte copy of the partitions by using linux's "dd" command?
The disks are scsi so no problem with bad blocks.

Perhaps there might be references to the partition's absolute
disk address in the partition's header, and this would preclude
such an approach?

I have the same question concerning some win95 FAT partitions?

Has anybody tied this?

Thank You.

Post by ERA » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have an OS2 partition I want to copy to an identical (type, size)
> OS2 partition on another disk. After I create the partition with
> OS2 fdisk on the other disk, is there any reason why I can not do
> a byte for byte copy of the partitions by using linux's "dd"
> command?
> The disks are scsi so no problem with bad blocks.

> Perhaps there might be references to the partition's absolute
> disk address in the partition's header, and this would preclude
> such an approach?

> I have the same question concerning some win95 FAT partitions?

> Has anybody tied this?

> Thank You.

I've not done that but I have booted with maintenance floppies and
run "xcopy y:\ z:\ /h/o/t/s/e/r/v" to completely copy one HPFS or FAT
partition to another. If you intend the new drive to be bootable, in
another machine perhaps, then the drive letters have to match for the
existing OS/2 boot partition(s) once you move the drive.

+==========================-=>Team OS/2<=-==========================+
#   Owner and C.E.O. - ERA Computer Consulting - Jackson, TN USA    #
#Providing IBM OS/2 and SCO OpenServer  Business Computing Solutions#
#         visit our www pages at http://eracc.bizland.com/          #
+===================================================================+
The Operating System/2 Version is 4.00
Revision 9.036
There are 42 Processes with 161 Threads.
This machine's uptime is 0d 4h 22m 38s 217ms.

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I have an OS2 partition I want to copy to an identical (type, size) OS2
>partition on another disk. After I create the partition with OS2
>fdisk on the other disk, is there any reason why I can not do
>a byte for byte copy of the partitions by using linux's "dd" command?
>The disks are scsi so no problem with bad blocks.

>Perhaps there might be references to the partition's absolute
>disk address in the partition's header, and this would preclude
>such an approach?

>I have the same question concerning some win95 FAT partitions?

>Has anybody tied this?

>Thank You.

For Windows 95 this will work if the source and target disks have the
same heads setting. For a primary partition the target boot sector
relative entry could become wrong, but Windows does not use this
entry. Not sure about OS2.
--
Svend Olaf

copy OS2, or win95 partitions using linux DD command?

Post by Sidney E Mathiou » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I think that the partitions size are different in OS/2 and Linux. OS/2 and
Windows have the same size partitions, but Linux is different.

Sidney E. Mathious

>I have an OS2 partition I want to copy to an identical (type, size) OS2
>partition on another disk. After I create the partition with OS2
>fdisk on the other disk, is there any reason why I can not do
>a byte for byte copy of the partitions by using linux's "dd" command?
>The disks are scsi so no problem with bad blocks.

>Perhaps there might be references to the partition's absolute
>disk address in the partition's header, and this would preclude
>such an approach?

>I have the same question concerning some win95 FAT partitions?

>Has anybody tied this?

>Thank You.

copy OS2, or win95 partitions using linux DD command?

Post by Rob Kro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I think that the partitions size are different in OS/2 and Linux. OS/2 and
>Windows have the same size partitions, but Linux is different.

There shouldn't be a problem at all with the dd command.... The partition
size doesn't matter. It you're really concerned, you can do an unmounted
volume copy instead....

(in this case: cp /dev/sd0 /dev/sd1)...

The partition sizes are the same. That has nothing to do with OS. It is the
filesystem that is larger/smaller. ext2 generally uses much less space than
vfat, and minix uses even less.

1. using dd command for Tape-to-Tape copy

Hi,
While using dd comand to using data from one tape(rmt0 8mm5GB) to
another tape(rmt1 3570),the dd command says: 0511-051 The read failed.
There is not enough memory available now.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Shan Jinlai
Golden Brain Network & Information Systems Ltd., Co.
Tel:(025)3792121
Fax:(025)3613960

2. Max memory per process

3. Using dd to copy disk partition corrupts complete target disk

4. HELP! Need restricted shell for Linux!!!!!!!!!

5. Adding a swap partition to a Linux/Win95/OS2 setup (& HPFS from linux)

6. defining path for telnet session

7. Using `dd` to copy a partition

8. SMIT - SMON

9. Invalid partition table after using dd to copy LILO bootsector?!?

10. Can I copy an NTFS-partitioned hard disk using DD?

11. Using dd to copy copy-protected floppies

12. WANTED : Utility to copy file from Dos Partition (Win95) to Linux Partition

13. Multi partitions OS2/Linux/NT/Win95