Bootable floppy different than bootable CD ROM for installation of RH 8.0?

Bootable floppy different than bootable CD ROM for installation of RH 8.0?

Post by A. Tsakir » Mon, 27 Jan 2003 04:58:30

Is using a bootable installation floppy any different than
booting installation disc 1?

I am trying to install Red Hat 8.0 on a Dell Latitude CPi laptop.
Red Hat 7.2 is already installed, but many things (e.g. suspend
to RAM or HD, K-mail, KDE Help) don't work.  I'm willing to
experiment with 8.0 to see if it's any better.

I've downloaded ISO images and burned installation discs 1, 2,
and 3.  The MD5SUM checksums on the downloaded files are correct,
and all three CDs pass the "linux mediacheck" at the boot prompt.
I've configured the BIOS to allow booting from the CD ROM.  Since
I get to the boot prompt, I'm assuming that's working correctly.
But, the installation process aborts after probing for hardware.

Here's essentially (not a cut and paste) what I get on the
screen:

Running anaconda
Probing for video - NeoMagic 128XD (laptop/notebook)
Probing for monitor - Unable to probe
Probing for mouse - Generic 3-button (PS/2)
Traceback (most recent call last)
  File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 480, in ?
    import xserver
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/xserver.py", line 27, in ?
    from snack import *
  File "/usb/lib/python2.2/site-packages/snack.py", line 7, in ?
    import _snack
ImportError: /usr/lib/libnewt.so.0.51: invalid ELF header
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals ... done
sending kill signals ... done
disabling swap ...
unmounting filesystems ...
  /mnt/runtime  done
  disabling /dev/loop0
  /proc/bus/usb  done
  /proc  done
  /dev/pts  done
  /mnt/source  done
you may safely reboot your system

I'm asking about a difference between using a floppy and a CD ROM
because for all of my past installations, I've created and used a
floppy, and the installation process was sometimes tiresome but
successful.  The only hardware change since the 7.2 installation
is the addition of 64 MB of RAM (bringing the total to 128 MB).
RH 7.2 worked before and after this change (noticeably faster
after).  When I used the floppy as the installation boot media, I
had the CD drive in a modular bay and the floppy drive connected
via cable.  When I used the CD ROM as the installation boot
media, I had the CD drive in the same modular bay, but no floppy
drive connected at all.

I'm making excellent backward progress.  I started with
RH 5.2.  After recompiling the kernel, suspend functions were
working.  I was dual-booting with Win NT at the time.  I decide
to eliminate the Win NT and use the entire HD for Linux.  I wiped
everything clean and started over by installing RH 7.2.  I've
never been able to get suspend functions to work under 7.2.  Now
with 8.0, I'm having difficulty even getting the system
installed.

--
A. Tsakiris

Bootable floppy different than bootable CD ROM for installation of RH 8.0?

Post by A. Tsakir » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 07:19:04

Following up to my own question ...

  > Is using a bootable installation floppy any different than
  > booting installation disc 1?

Yes, it is different.

I created a boot floppy for installation.  I'm not completely
done with the installation, but I've gotten much further than I
did using a CD.  It's odd because the floppy was created by
copying the boot image (boot.img) from the very CD that didn't
work.

--
A. Tsakiris

Post by a use » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:18:09

> Following up to my own question ...

>  > Is using a bootable installation floppy any different than
>  > booting installation disc 1?

> Yes, it is different.

> I created a boot floppy for installation.  I'm not completely
> done with the installation, but I've gotten much further than I
> did using a CD.  It's odd because the floppy was created by
> copying the boot image (boot.img) from the very CD that didn't
> work.

Same here.  I gave up trying to use either the CD or DVD bootable for
SuSE 8.1 since my trackball wasn't recognized and so would force me to
do a fresh/clean install; the default selection could not be changed
and the only way out was ctrl-alt-del.

Creating the boot floppy and modules allowed me to select the text mode
and select a "manual" upgrade.....upgraded easily and running quickly.

1. Bootable Floppy bin image to bootable CD?

I'm trying to use a memory test application which boots from a floppy
drive.  After building the program, I am left with a file "memtest.bin"
which after using 'dd if=mem....' would create a bootable disk to use to
run.  I, however, have no floppy drive with which to use on either my linux
box or XP box.  I was wondering if there was a way to get this .bin file
onto a CD (the CD writer is in the XP machine mind you, is it possible to
get this into an ISO)?

The link below is to the site where the memory testing program is.  Thanks
for any help you can give.

Bogo

http://www.teresaudio.com/memtest86/

2. [eide.txt--for those with big Enhanced Hard drive

3. CD-ROM Drive Errors w/ Debian Installation - Bootable CD Problem?

4. Sun RPC & fork()

5. Make a DOS bootable floppy-disk/image bootable from Linux?

6. w command shows no users/utmp empty

7. installing without floppy or bootable CD-ROM

8. APM BIOS initialization error

9. Install from a non-bootable DOS CD-ROM + floppy?

10. How to make a bootable tape from bootable cd?

11. Mandrake 8.0 install w/o neither floppy NOR bootable CDROM -- possible...?

12. making a bootable floppy in 3 different systems

13. Multiple bootable dos' bootable by linux ?