LILO boot up...

Post by Thomas J. Moriarty, I » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

During the Red Hat Linux 5.1 installation's last two steps, where it
tries to make a boot disk and write the LILO information to the Master
Boot Record (or the first sector of the Hard Drive), the installation
program fails to do either one.

I have a disk that boots linux...but I am unaware of the text that I
need to enter in "vi" to have the SCSi get mounted and where to put it
in the "/etc/lilo.conf" file...

I have this setup:

Pentium 120
1.44MB floppy
Adaptec SCSI 2940 UW
Teac 32X SCSI CD-ROM
Micropolis 4.5GB SCSI hard drive
IBM 8513 Monitor
S3 4MB video card

I have fdisk'd the hard drive to create two partitions:

1 - /dev/sda1     4.3GB    linux native
2 - /dev/sda2     0.2GB   linux swap

This is my first Linux setup!

Thank you...

LILO boot up...

Post by Chip & Debby Pille » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>During the Red Hat Linux 5.1 installation's last two steps, where it
>tries to make a boot disk and write the LILO information to the Master
>Boot Record (or the first sector of the Hard Drive), the installation
>program fails to do either one.

>I have a disk that boots linux...but I am unaware of the text that I
>need to enter in "vi" to have the SCSi get mounted and where to put it
>in the "/etc/lilo.conf" file...

>I have this setup:

>Pentium 120
>1.44MB floppy
>Adaptec SCSI 2940 UW
>Teac 32X SCSI CD-ROM
>Micropolis 4.5GB SCSI hard drive
>IBM 8513 Monitor
>S3 4MB video card

>I have fdisk'd the hard drive to create two partitions:

>1 - /dev/sda1     4.3GB    linux native
>2 - /dev/sda2     0.2GB   linux swap

>This is my first Linux setup!

>Thank you...

OK, your first (or only) hard drive is /dev/sda and has a working RH5.1
linux system using one linux native partition and one linux swap partition.
Do you really have a 200 MB swap space, how much ram do you have in your
computer?  Generally it is suggested to have at least one more linux native
partition on your drive,  for example you can have a 500-1000MB type linux
native root partition (  /  ) for system files and a type linux swap
partition (I use 127MB)  and then the rest of the space as a type linux
native home partition (  /home  ).  That's what I do but some documentation
recommends even more partitions. However, if your system is up and running
fine that is good.

When I run the RedHat 5.1 installation process and it asks about the boot
floppy I just follow the instructions; place a blank floppy into the floppy
drive, hit enter, and it writes the disk.  I don't know why this does not
work for you.  You said you have a floppy that will boot linux, so your
floppy drive works under the BIOS at boot time, does your floppy work when
you run linux?  Use "vi /etc/fstab" to take a look and see if you have a
line that says something like "/dev/fd0    /dev/floppy    ext2 ..."

I chose to have LILO put on my MBR ( /dev/hda ) and the LILO prompt comes up
at boot time and I choose what OS I want to have boot (Win98, Dos,
RedHat5.2, Linux-2.1xx)

If you edit and change your lilo.conf file using "vi /etc/lilo.conf"you
then need to run the lilo program afterwards to make the changes to the boot
sector you chose using the command "/sbin/lilo -v".  You can use the "man
lilo.conf" command to look at the manual page for lilo.conf, it may be
helpful.  If you need to learn about manual pages "man man" may help.  You
can also use the program linuxconf (and others I'm sure) to write the file
for you if you
wish.  linuxconf works in either the text console or in X windows.  You just
choose config and then boot and go from there.  You may want to go online
and get the latest version of linuxconf or look for other documentation.
www.redhat.com
www.linuxhq.com
www.linuxhq.com/LDP/
www.freshmeat.net
www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf/

You could also repost with your /etc/lilo.conf file, it might be easier to
troubleshoot. Hope this helps.